Software Engineer II
Home Chef, 433 W Van Buren St, Chicago, IL 60607 (Downtown)
Home Chef brings people together around the dinner table.
Writing code to solve business problems and handle tickets:
- Can communicate about the trade-offs of various technical approaches and solutions
- Backend development, design and implementation; database (relational, NoSQL, caching), messaging and big data development, implementation and optimization
- Ship reliable, scalable, efficient code
Mentoring other software engineers and pair programming; collaborating with others:
- Provides insight to junior engineers to guide their programming
- Influence the road map and product development of Home Chef tools
- Communicates and writes code clearly while pair programming
- Completes pull request reviews and providing feedback to team
- Participates in sprints, IPMs, Retros, and other meetings to help with product roadmap planning
Interviewing potential software engineers:
- Asking thoughtful questions to candidates
- Assessing both technical ability and culture add to Home Chef
- Pair programming with candidatesProviding specific, timely feedback to the Home Chef team about candidate’s interview performance
- At least one year of experience shipping production code
- Have built and shipped at least one major feature in Ruby on Rails and/or React
- Experience with Heroku a plus
- Experience with React Native a plus
- Up to one year of post-high school training such as in a business school, community college or vocational training.
- Must be comfortable working with version control such as GitHub
- Must be well-versed in at least one professional code editor (Atom, Sublime, VS Code, Vim, etc.)
- Must be comfortable working with tools like Slack and GSuite
- Must be willing to respond to on-call events when they occur
- Some advanced SQL knowledge is a plus, but not required
About Home Chef
Every day, you're out there making things happen. That's why our CEO, Pat Vihtelic, created Home Chef: to provide everything you need to bring more delicious meals and moments to the table, no matter how busy you are. Because at Home Chef, we believe that preparing and enjoying a home-cooked meal should be a simply delicious experience. In fact, simplicity is our mantra. From online to doorstep...to your kitchen table, we make planning and preparing a home-cooked meal simple, intuitive and inspirational every step of the way. In 2013, Pat started Home Chef by partnering with a chef to design delicious, easy-to-follow recipes. Since then, our team has grown to include several chefs, and more than 700 employees across production, marketing, technology, product, design, and customer service. Last year, we delivered over 10 million meals and expanded our delivery to cover more than 97% of the U.S. population. Some days -- okay, most days -- we can't believe how quickly we've grown. But we believe that people continue to love Home Chef for the same reasons it was founded: it saves time, reduces food waste, and most importantly, brings people together for a home-cooked meal.
Want to learn more about Home Chef? Visit Home Chef's website.
Help the world share their story