Honey is a fast-growing startup based in Los Angeles. Our online shopping platform offers users a smarter way to shop. We open up instant access to exclusive savings, deals, rewards and discovery, all powered by the collective knowledge of Honey's community of online shoppers. We are helping millions save when they shop online, and we're hiring! We are actively seeking a Lead Software Engineer to join our team in Los Angeles.
If you aren't already in the Los Angeles area, don't fret - we'll move you here!
Our engineering team prioritizes, creating excellent systems via rapid iterations, collaboration, and peer review. We are looking for a Lead Software Engineer who will actively mentor and contribute to the personal development of their team. You get just as excited seeing others grow and learn under your leadership as you do by executing the work yourself. You seek to improve standard practices and cultivate a culture of excellence. Most importantly, you'll work with a diverse group of people and collaborate to create the best solutions for Honey and our members.
If you're on the fence about whether you meet all of the requirements for this role, please apply!
- You proactively identify problems and opportunities and generate creative approaches to solve them
- You enjoy working collaboratively with a product manager to build and maintain a backlog of work for a team of engineers
- You have experience doing the following and can get buy-in from team members to do the same:
- Linting all your code
- Knowing what parts of systems require tests and ensure those tests are written
- Building monitoring as part of your development process
- Staging deployments before pushing to production
- Deploying your systems to production and troubleshoot them
- You use a modern version-control system for your source code repository (Git, Mercurial, GitHub, BitBucket)
- You know how to use a framework to create robust and reliable HTTP-based APIs
- You know about continuous integration system like Travis, Jenkins, or CircleCI (we use Circle)
- You want to work with Docker and Kubernetes
In this role, you'll:
- Work within a mission team (a cross-functional team focused on a specific, well-defined mission) on a given set of features and services
- Inspire and develop engineers through mentorship, empowerment, and by challenging them to do their best work
- Architect, design, write, review, and test code in a collaborative environment with 2-5 other software engineers
- Leverage your peers as multipliers for your skills to create excellent products and services for Honey's 10+ million users
- Build large-scale stand-alone tasks reading from Pubsub and processing millions of messages per day
- Build monitoring for all your services and tasks to ensure their reliability and health
- Work closely with a product manager for your mission team on product requirements and translating those requirements to technical solutions
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, CircleCI, Node.js, NPM, Git, GitHub, Golang, Kubernetes, Docker
- Experience with a distributed SQL platform like CockroachDB or Google Spanner
- Experience with Hadoop, Map-Reduce, or other "Big Data" systems
At Honey, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Honey is an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.
About us Founded in 2012 and based in Downtown, Los Angeles, Honey is the easiest way to save when shopping online! We currently have a coupon applying browser extension (available on Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.), a cash back program called Honey Gold, a price watching tool called Droplist, and are working on several more features and products to create abundance for all! Our team is a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive group of 100 and we're growing!