Software Engineer (Intermediate), Backend
Hootsuite, Hasselt, Belgium, London, UK
We are more than a social media company
We’re looking for an Intermediate Software Developer who can design, build, test, and ship high quality software that delivers value to our customers. You’ll work on a small and agile team that continuously incorporates feedback to refine and improve the products and features you deliver. Your team will own the entire delivery lifecycle from beta releases to production ready, scalable products suitable for new and existing customers. While based in our Belgium office (post COVID19) or remotely across Belgium (in accordance with Hootsuite's local employment entities), you will report to Director, Software Development.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Work within a cross-functional team (including designers, product managers, architects and other developers) to deliver compelling products and services to our customers
- Design, write, test, and deploy high quality scalable code
- Implement our technical roadmap as we scale our services and build new products
- Maintain standards of security, reliability, performance, and quality
- Work out loud by sharing your experiences and expertise, helping to improve and enhance processes
- Take ownership of your work and work autonomously when necessary
- Participate in code reviews, and apply software development best practices
- Work with the following technologies: mainly with Docker, Jenkins, Spring, Kafka, Redis, AWS Aurora (MySQL), Elastic Search and Java 15 in an environment that’s using Amazon Web Services, Terraform, Kubernetes, React, GraphQL, Flow/Typescript, Sass, Redux, Node.js, Jest, Domain Driven Design, Command Query Responsibility Segregation, Event Sourcing, Test Driven Design and eXtreme Programming
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- A degree in Computer Science or Engineering, and considerable experience in developing and maintaining software or an equivalent level of education or work experience, and a track record of substantial contributions to software projects with high business impact
- You are proficient in at least one programming language, ideally Java, and have a desire to learn other languages.
- You have experience in software design: you know how to analyze and design features, drive discussions, and propose technical solutions.
- You have been a solid contributor in teams that have worked on medium-to-large sized projects that had an impact on business; an understanding of SaaS software development practice is considered an asset.
- You know how to apply best practices to ensure high-quality code (i.e. automated tests; code reviews).
- Open Communication: clearly conveys thoughts, both written and verbally, listening attentively and asking questions for clarification and understanding
- Collaboration and Teamwork: works with others to deliver results, meaningfully contributing to the team and prioritizing group needs over individual needs
- Self Development: is personally committed to, and actively works to continuously improve
- Problem Solving: uses an organized and logical approach to find solutions to complex problems. Looks beyond the obvious to understand the root cause of problems
- Resilience, Tolerance for Change/Ambiguity: can effectively cope with change, finding ways to advance work and projects
WHO YOU ARE:
- Tenacious. You are determined to succeed, and you are motivated by the success of customers, colleagues, and the community.
- Curious. You are always learning and seeking ways to make things better.
- Conscientious. You keep your promises, taking your commitments to others seriously, and you have strong integrity.
- Humble. You lead with humility and empathy, respecting and learning from the perspectives of others.
In all we do, our six guiding principles light the way:
Step Up: Show the world what it looks like to live and work by these guiding principles. #StepUp
One Team: Make Hootsuite a place where everyone feels safe, welcome, valued, and empowered to do their best work without compromising who they are. #OneTeam #FreeToBeMe
Customer Obsessed: Focus relentlessly on helping our customers succeed. #CustomerObsessed
Go Fast, Be Agile: Widen our competitive advantage by committing to speed and simplicity over perfection and complexity. #GoFastBeAgile
Play to Win: Commit to building an incredible, profitable company for our customers, our employees, and our stakeholders. #PlayToWin #NoExcuses
Neighbours & Allies: Give back to our communities and be an ally. #SocialForGood #Allies
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
About us Hootsuite is the most widely used social media management platform. We have 15+ million customers and are recognized as a leader in social media management by Forrester, one of the most influential research and advisory firms in the world. Our battle-tested technology, extensive ecosystem, and social DNA help organizations create human connections at scale.
Want to learn more about Hootsuite? Visit Hootsuite's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.