Software Developer, Data Technology
Hootsuite, Vancouver, Toronto, Waterloo, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria
We are more than a social media company
We’re looking for a Software Developer, Data Technology who can design, build, test, and ship high quality software that delivers business value to our stakeholders. You will be an integral part of the team that builds our data architecture, working in an agile fashion to evolve our products, processes, and data technology. This role reports to the Manager, Data Technology and is based in Hootsuite’s Vancouver office (post COVID19) or remotely across Canada or the US (in accordance with Hootsuite's local employment entities).
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Work within a cross-functional team (including analysts, product managers, and other developers) to deliver data products and services to our internal stakeholders
- Design, write, test, and deploy scalable code
- Implement our technical roadmap as we scale our services and build new data products
- Maintain standards of security, reliability, performance, and quality
- Participate in code reviews, attend regular team meetings, and apply software development best practices
- Take ownership of your work, and work autonomously when necessary
- Recognize opportunities to improve efficiency in our data systems and processes, increase data quality, and enable consistent and reliable results
- Participate in the design and implementation of our next generation data platform to empower Hootsuite with data
- Perform other related duties as assigned
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- A degree in Computer Science or Engineering, and intermediate-level experience in developing and maintaining software or an equivalent level of education or work experience, and a track record of substantial contributions to software projects with high business impact
- Experience writing clean code that performs well at scale; ideally experienced with languages like Python, Scala, Java, Go, and shell script
- Passionate interest in data engineering and infrastructure; ingestion, storage and compute in relational, NoSQL, and serverless architectures
- Experience with various types of data stores, query engines and frameworks, e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, S3, Redshift/Spectrum, Presto/Athena, Spark
- Experience working with message queues such as Kafka and Kinesis
- Experience developing data pipelines and integrations for high volume, velocity and variety of data
- Experience with data warehousing and data modeling best practices
- Open Communication: clearly conveys thoughts, both written and verbally, listening attentively and asking questions for clarification and understanding
- Collaboration and Teamwork: works with others to deliver results, meaningfully contributing to the team and prioritizing group needs over individual needs
- Self Development: is personally committed to, and actively works to continuously improve
- Decision Making: work with your peers and leaders to build consensus and choose a direction forward. When required, you drive this process.
- Problem Solving: uses an organized and logical approach to find solutions to complex problems. Looks beyond the obvious to understand the root cause of problems
- Resilience, Tolerance for Change/Ambiguity: can effectively cope with change, finding ways to advance work and projects
WHO YOU ARE:
- Tenacious. You are determined to succeed, and you are motivated by the success of customers, colleagues and the community.
- Curious. You are always learning and seeking ways to make things better.
- Conscientious. You keep your promises, taking your commitments to others seriously, and you have strong integrity.
- Humble. You lead with humility and empathy, respecting and learning from the perspectives of others.
In all we do, our six guiding principles light the way:
Step Up: Show the world what it looks like to live and work by these guiding principles. #StepUp
One Team: Make Hootsuite a place where everyone feels safe, welcome, valued, and empowered to do their best work without compromising who they are. #OneTeam #FreeToBeMe
Customer Obsessed: Focus relentlessly on helping our customers succeed. #CustomerObsessed
Go Fast, Be Agile: Widen our competitive advantage by committing to speed and simplicity over perfection and complexity. #GoFastBeAgile
Play to Win: Commit to building an incredible, profitable company for our customers, our employees, and our stakeholders. #PlayToWin #NoExcuses
Neighbours & Allies: Give back to our communities and be an ally. #SocialForGood #Allies
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
About us Hootsuite is the most widely used social media management platform. We have 15+ million customers and are recognized as a leader in social media management by Forrester, one of the most influential research and advisory firms in the world. Our battle-tested technology, extensive ecosystem, and social DNA help organizations create human connections at scale.
Want to learn more about Hootsuite? Visit Hootsuite's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.
Tech Jobs For You
Complex Delivery Lead Manager – Communications, Media and High...
Accenture, Multiple Locations, USA