Software Engineer III
Hudson's Bay Company, New York, NY USA
HBC | Hudson's Bay Co. | Saks Fifth Avenue
What This Position Is All About:
Small, autonomous teams. Decentralized decision-making. Scala. NoSQL. Team ownership of end-to-end quality. Support for open source technologies. A friction-free production environment. Distributed systems. Continuous delivery. Simplicity. Automation. These are some of the key ingredients of HBC’s robust technology culture. If this all sounds good to you, then keep reading!
We’re very passionate about preserving our culture of trust and autonomy. Anyone on our team can publish to our Tech Blog, give a presentation, develop an open source project, attend or speak at a conference, spend funds in the team budget, organize a meetup, or invite someone interesting over to our office for coffee and a chat. We embrace our creativity and are open to embracing yours.
During the interview process we hope to learn something from you. What’s your potential? What can you bring that no one else can? What open source projects can you share with us?
Who You Are:
- A natural problem-solver, who is also persistent and creative (think outside of the box!)
- You enjoy teamwork but can also work independently
- You make informed decisions quickly, and takes ownership of services and applications at scale
- You are obsessed with improving the user experience
- You remain cool and effective under pressure
- You are on the leading edge of development paradigms, personalization, algorithms, service delivery, continuous delivery and non-traditional technical management
- You are passionate about building a micro-services architecture
You also have:
- Fluency in a functional, imperative or object-oriented language, especially Scala or Java
- Source code management skills (Git)
- Familiarity with SQL and relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle) and NoSQL databases (MongoDB, DynamoDB)
- Fluency in discussing web standards (HTTP, JSON) and RESTful APIs
- Experience using Linux/Unix, CentOS, Ubuntu, and Mac OS
- Familiarity with deployment and continuous integration technologies, and container technologies such as Docker.
As the Software Engineer III, you will:
- Write concise, clear, flexible code--but you’ll do much more than that.
- Demonstrate and communicate technical best practices and influence others to do the same.
- Use the Typesafe platform (Scala/Play Framework/Akka), AWS, Docker, Jenkins, MongoDB, Lucene/Solr, and other great technologies to develop high-quality software.
- Identify new ways to innovate without adding processes or management overhead.
- Take risks and challenge yourself in new ways–from developing your own open-source projects to submitting proposals to prestigious tech conferences.
Your Life and Career at HBC:
- Be part of a world-class team; work with an adventurous spirit; think and act like an owner- operator!
- Gain exposure to rewarding career advancement opportunities, from retail to supply chain, to digital or corporate.
- Join a culture that promotes a healthy, fulfilling work/life balance
- Receive a benefits package available for all eligible full-time employees
- Enjoy an amazing employee discount
About Hudson's Bay Company
HBC is a diversified global retailer focused on driving the performance of high quality stores and their omnichannel platforms and unlocking the value of real estate holdings. Founded in 1670, HBC is the oldest company in North America. HBC’s portfolio today includes formats ranging from luxury to premium department stores to off price fashion shopping destinations, with more than 480 stores and approximately 65,000 employees around the world.
HBC’s leading banners across North America include Hudson’s Bay, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Saks OFF 5TH.
HBC has significant investments in real estate joint ventures. It has partnered with Simon Property Group Inc. in the HBS Global Properties Joint Venture, which owns properties in the United States and Germany. In Canada, it has partnered with RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust in the RioCan-HBC Joint Venture.