Entry-Level Design Consultant (Commercial Sector)
IBM, Multiple Cities
The Leading Cognitive & Cloud Computing Company
IBM is now hiring Entry-level Design Consultants
We live in a moment of remarkable change and opportunity. The convergence of data and technology in the areas of cloud, cognitive, digital, social and mobile is transforming industries, societies and professions. IBM Global Business Services is part of this transformation and just the place to define your career within business consulting. Join us as we make the most of these exciting times and discover what you can make of this moment.
Work @ IBM where: Your ideas are brought to life, Your ideas can help change the world, Your thoughts become things, You are helping to revolutionize computing
At IBM Global Business Services – Interactive Experience we partner with Fortune 1000 clients to deliver real business value by…
- Bringing together the world’s largest consulting practice with industry-leading user experience design and research capability.
- Enriching business consulting with advanced research, analytics and technology and an optimum user experience.
- Teaming on all phases of engagement to plan, design, build, and implement advanced business solutions.
- Establishing new, flexible and iterative approaches that only IBM can offer through our unique combination of skills, experience and capabilities.
- Leveraging the proven roadmaps and frameworks we have developed across our 17 industries.
- Applying IBM's global expertise and local capabilities through our unique global delivery network combined with our teams in over 170 countries.
- Providing our clients with an integrated approach to business design and execution, turning strategies into actions.
- Work with the IBM Interactive Experience team designing and developing our clients' digital customer experience.
These strengths applied to business issues and opportunities give our clients not only the ability to anticipate change, but also take advantage of new possibilities.
What will you do as an IBM GBS Entry-level Design Consultant?
As an Entry-level Design Consultant, you will have the opportunity to join Consulting by Degrees - our world-class apprenticeship program designed to groom top talent entry-level consultants into tomorrow’s leaders.
IBM Global Business Services (GBS) consultants help organizations fundamentally redesign experiences to create new sources of value, digitally reinvent operations for great efficiency and transform entire enterprises through the use of cognitive. This is possible by taking advantage of IBM’s global reach, outcome-focused methodologies, domain skills and deep industry expertise.
We are looking for enthusiastic and digitally savvy candidates with the skills, creativity and passion to solve some of society’s most complex problems with your innovative thinking and ideas. We seek the best and brightest from all walks of life – from business to engineering, communications to computer science, analytics to application development, and everything in between.
In the Consulting by Degrees (CbD) Program, you join a cohort of talented and committed colleagues on a two-year journey designed to develop you into a top consultant at IBM. IBM is transforming, and CbDers play a critical role in that journey. With over 1,000 CbDers on hundreds of client projects, the CbD Program is an opportunity to experience a variety of roles, grow as a consultant, and transform into an IBM leader. CbDers are supported by program managers, peer buddies, project managers, and extensive in-person training. Each CbDer is aligned to a practice where they develop subject matter expertise in one or more industries as they work on multiple projects during the two-year program. CbDers receive a collaborative, challenging, and transformative experience.
What do we look for in a successful IBM GBS Entry-level Design Consultant?
- Minimum 3.2 GPA, above 3.2 strongly preferred
- Design experience, with a portfolio representing design artifacts and associated projects
- Demonstrated leadership and adaptability, with willingness to readily and voluntarily take ownership of highly challenging tasks and problems, even beyond initial scope of responsibility
- Thorough, design-focused, analytical, with capability to apply logic to solve problems
- Possesses deep empathy for users and their needs, humility to recognize the limits of assumptions, and boldness in the conception of solutions
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently and meet deadlines, while maintaining focus despite conflicting demands
- Drive to overcome the most challenging or difficult obstacles and look for ways to improve results
- Initiative to actively seek new knowledge and improve skills
- Effective interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate and work effectively with individuals, strengthening relationships to achieve win-win solutions
- Ability to communicate design approaches and complex situations clearly and simply by listening actively and conveying difficult messages in a positive manner
- A passion for innovative ideas, coupled with the ability to understand and assimilate different points of view
- Experience working with design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite (PhotoShop, Illustrator), Sketch, InVision, etc.
- Background in Human-Computer Interaction / User Experience methodologies desired but not required
- Experience with working on customer platforms, mobile and other customer focused projects desired but not required
- Bachelors or Masters Degree from an accredited 4-year institution coupled with internship/work and/or project experience which will provide the graphic design acumen that translates to an entry level design consulting role. Preferred Degree/Majors: Graphic Designer, UX Designer, Front End Developer, Graphic Artist, Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 4 days a week (home on weekends – based on project requirements)
- Reside within a reasonable commuting distance (generally 20 miles or less) or be willing to relocate to of one of the following cities: Atlanta (GA), Boston (MA), Chicago (IL), New York (NY) San Francisco (CA) with limited availability in: Dallas (TX), Detroit (MI), Houston (TX), Jersey City (NJ), Philadelphia (PA).
- IBM GBS will not provide work authorization visa sponsorship for this role.
State / Province
City / Township / Village
IBM Business Group
Primary job category
Secondary Job Category
Role ( Job Role )
Business Transformation Consultant
New Collar Role
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Ability to travel a minimum of 75% (4 days a week - home on weekends) but up to 100% (5 days a week - home on weekends) to meet client and professional requirements.
- Live in a commutable distance generally 20 miles or less or be willing to relocate to the following cities: Atlanta (GA), Boston (MA), Chicago (IL), New York City (NY), San Francisco (CA) with limited availability in: Dallas (TX), Detroit (MI), Houston (TX), Jersey City (NJ), Philadelphia (PA).
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
- At least 3 months experience in an internship, co-op program, or project with transferable business and/or technical skills on customer centric and/or mobile platforms.
- Preferred Degree/Majors are Graphic Design, Web Design, Front End Development, Graphic Artist, Fine Arts, Creative Arts.
Early Professional Track
Up to 75% or 4 days a week (home on weekends - based on project requirements)
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?
IBM is now hiring Entry-level Enterprise Applications Consultants
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
IBM is a global cognitive and cloud computing company that is reinventing what’s possible for industries and individuals. They are extending the relationship between humans and technology across industries like healthcare, education, retail, sports, finance, fashion, and advertising to truly transform the world for all of us.
What can you do at IBM?
You can innovate breakthroughs that have a life-changing impact. You can explore new industries, technologies, and jobs - all within one organization. You can be agile, experimental, and entrepreneurial - backed by the expertise and resources of a Fortune 100 company. And you can be part of an ever-evolving, inclusive, and collaborative culture with the support of over 380,000 colleagues. Embrace the pattern-seeing, patent-blazing, future-shaping you. This is you to the power of IBM.
Be a Better IBM Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at IBM when you watch classes taught by their top employees.