Entry-Level Technical Consultant (Commercial Sector)
IBM, Multiple Cities
The Leading Cognitive & Cloud Computing Company
IBM is now hiring Entry-level Technical Consultants.
We live in a moment of remarkable change and opportunity. The convergence of data and technology in the areas of cloud, cognitive, digital, social and mobile is transforming industries, societies and professions. IBM Global Business Services is part of this transformation and just the place to define your career within business consulting. Join us as we make the most of these exciting times and discover what you can make of this moment.
Work @ IBM where: Your ideas are brought to life, Your ideas can help change the world, Your thoughts become things, You are helping to revolutionize computing
At IBM Global Business Services - Commercial Sector we partner with Fortune 1000 clients to deliver real business value by…
- Bringing together the world’s largest consulting practice with industry-leading research capability.
- Enriching business consulting with advanced research, analytics and technology.
- Teaming on all phases of engagement to plan, build, and implement advanced business solutions.
- Establishing new, flexible and iterative approaches that only IBM can offer through our unique combination of skills, experience and capabilities.
- Leveraging the proven roadmaps and frameworks we have developed across our 18 industries.
- Applying IBM's global expertise and local capabilities through our unique global delivery network combined with our teams in over 170 countries.
- Providing our clients with an integrated approach to business design and execution, turning strategies into actions.
These strengths applied to business issues and opportunities give our clients not only the ability to anticipate change, but also take advantage of new possibilities.
What will you do as an IBM GBS Entry-level Technical Consultant?
As an Entry-level Technical Consultant, you will have the opportunity to join Consulting by Degrees. - our world-class apprenticeship program designed to groom top talent entry-level consultants into tomorrow’s leaders. You will use your programming, application development, and/or project management skills to help design, develop, and integrate solutions using bleeding edge technologies, tools, techniques, and products our clients demand today. New digital technologies along with cloud, mobile, analytics and cognitive computing are changing how we engage and work with one another. Leading the way into the Cognitive era, IBM Watson continues to make ground breaking advances each day. IBM MobileFirst has excited many IBMers that have taken to Mobile App Development. You will be working on technologies related to Continuous Integration, Development Operations, Technical Operations, and Security Operations. You will not only be working on IBM PaaS Bluemix, but will also be exposed to open source technologies – after all, IBM is a leader in contributing to Open Source.
In the Consulting by Degrees (CbD) Program, you join a cohort of talented and committed colleagues on a two-year journey designed to develop you into a top consultant at IBM. IBM is transforming, and CbDers play a critical role in that journey. With over 1,000 CbDers on hundreds of different client projects, the CbD Program is an opportunity to experience a variety of roles, grow as a consultant, and transform into an IBM leader. CbDers are supported by program managers, peer buddies, project managers, and extensive in-person training. Each CbDer is aligned to a practice where they develop subject matter expertise in one or more industries as they work on multiple projects during the two-year program. CbDers receive a collaborative, challenging, and transformative experience.
What do we look for in a successful IBM GBS Entry-level Technical Consultant?
- Demonstrated programming skills and experience with one or more of the following: Java, C++, Python, Scala, R, SAS, SQL, Hadoop, HTML, SPSS, VBA, Tableau, Spark, as well as systems design/development, and information technology course work
- Exposure to web services and multiple Java application frameworks highly desired
- Experience and/or course work in front-end web development and mobile technologies highly desired
- Ability to translate technical requirements into business solutions
- Ability to thrive in an ever changing, technology based consulting environment
- Demonstrated leadership experience and ability to adapt, with willingness to readily take ownership of tasks and problems, which often extend beyond initial scope of responsibility
- Thorough and analytical, with capability to apply logic to solve problems
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently and meet deadlines, while maintaining focus in an environment with conflicting demands
- Drive to overcome the most challenging or difficult obstacles and look for ways to improve results
- Initiative to actively seek new knowledge and improve skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate and work effectively with individuals, strengthening relationships to achieve win-win solutions
- Ability to communicate complex situations clearly and simply by listening actively and conveying difficult messages in a positive manner
- A passion for innovative ideas, coupled with the ability to understand and assimilate different points of view
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 4 days a week (home on weekends - based on project requirements) but up to 100% if required
- Reside within a reasonable commuting distance (generally 20 miles or less) or willingness to relocate to one of the following cities: Atlanta (GA), Boston (MA), Chicago (IL), Jersey City (NJ), New York City (NY), San Francisco (CA) *Limited availability in Dallas (TX), Detroit (MI), Houston (TX), Philadelphia (PA)
- IBM GBS will not provide work authorization visa sponsorship for this role
- REQUIRED DEGREE/MAJORS: Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, CIS, or Computer Engineering
State / Province
City / Township / Village
IBM Business Group
Primary job category
Secondary Job Category
Role ( Job Role )
Business Transformation Consultant
New Collar Role
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Willingness and ability to travel 4 days a week (home on weekends – based on project requirements) but up to 100% travel if required
- Reside within a reasonable commuting distance (generally 20 miles or less) of one of the following cities: Atlanta (GA), Boston (MA), Chicago (IL), Jersey City (NJ), New York City (NY), San Francisco (CA) Limited opportunities are available in the following geographies: Dallas (TX), Detroit (MI), Houston (TX), Philadelphia (PA)
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
- Degree/Major in: Electrical Engineer, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering
Early Professional Track
Up to 75% or 4 days a week (home on weekends - based on project requirements)
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
IBM is a global cognitive and cloud computing company that is reinventing what’s possible for industries and individuals. They are extending the relationship between humans and technology across industries like healthcare, education, retail, sports, finance, fashion, and advertising to truly transform the world for all of us.
What can you do at IBM?
You can innovate breakthroughs that have a life-changing impact. You can explore new industries, technologies, and jobs - all within one organization. You can be agile, experimental, and entrepreneurial - backed by the expertise and resources of a Fortune 100 company. And you can be part of an ever-evolving, inclusive, and collaborative culture with the support of over 380,000 colleagues. Embrace the pattern-seeing, patent-blazing, future-shaping you. This is you to the power of IBM.
Be a Better IBM Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at IBM when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about IBM? Visit IBM's website.
Jobs You May Like
Mechanical Engineer - Infotainment
Faraday Future, Gardena, CA
Lead Gameplay Engineer - Unreal Engine 4
Survios, Culver City, CA
Senior Backend Engineer
Markforged, Watertown, MA
Engagement Manager, Professional Services - UK
Full Stack Software Engineer