Senior Business Transformation - US Federal [Graduate Student]
IBM, Washington, D.C.
The Leading Cognitive & Cloud Computing Company
Please note: At this time, Uncubed is only able to fast-track applicants who are legally authorized to work in the United States and will not require employment-based visa sponsorship, now or in the future.
As a Strategy Consultant at IBM, you will help reinvent businesses and industries by developing and utilizing specialized knowledge of industry-specific and cross-industry competitive strategies. You'll manage complex components of an engagement, working closely with clients and their customers to understand their pain points. Your strategic recommendations will drive change in a digitally-enabled era and give you the opportunity to collaborate with highly talented IBMers. Are you ready?
Your Role and Responsibilities
- What Does an IBM Business Transformation Senior Consultant Opportunity Offer?
- Experience - Consulting experience and client interaction on challenging projects
- Education & Training - Ongoing learning and development opportunities
- Networking & Professional Development - IBM leadership and peer networking opportunities
- Supportive and dynamic team work environment
- Compensation – our employees enjoy a competitive compensation package
- What will you do as an IBM Business Transformation Senior Consultant?
You will work at the intersection of technology, people, and process, helping your clients transform how they conduct business to cope with shifts in the market, and more closely align them with their business strategy and vision. Business Transformation Senior Consultants develop an understanding of client processes, goals and objectives to define their future state and the path to get them there. You will help your clients understand digital and cognitive technologies and the impact that those technologies can have on traditional business processes. Depending on your knowledge, exposure and expertise, we have opportunities available in the following areas:
Digital Business Strategy: As a Digital Business Strategy consultant, you’ll work at the intersection of progressive strategy and transformational technology. Key areas in which Digital Business Strategy consultants work are:
- Data Value Strategy: Data Value Strategy consultants appreciate that data is the key enabler of new digital business models and an important source of competitive advantage. They discover new ways of creating value from data, from both existing and new data sources, and are conversant with data strategy, data governance, data science, and/or data architectures from a business perspective.
- Digital Reinvention: Digital Reinvention consultants can envision new areas and strategies for clients to reinvent their business according to a digital agenda - from idea to reality. They utilize their experience with business case development, road mapping and developing target operating models, feasibility assessments, and change management implementation. Digital Reinvention consultants are also capable of being the point person for direct-facing client relations to accelerate reinvention and improve the client experience.
- Emerging Technology: Emerging Technology consultants harness their experience in digital strategy development and use innovative approaches and techniques such as design thinking and ideation workshops. They excel at building client relationships, including senior client executives.
- User Experience Strategy: User Experience Strategy consultants focus on understanding (research), assessing (evaluation), and establishing (create/design) the vision for desired end user experiences that span multiple channels – web, mobile, voice, kiosk, chat, and more. They can conduct audience research to understand a client’s end users, evaluate existing client digital experiences against industry best practices, and develop roadmaps/plans to enable improved user experiences.
Watson Internet of Things (IoT) and Supply Chain Management (SCM)
Watson IoT & SCM consultants develop IoT operating models and supply chain functions for optimized efficiency and effectiveness for clients, and support innovation across the value chain by leveraging process diagnostics and bench-marketing, scenario-based strategy and lean principles. They combine extensive industry experience from strategy to execution, increasing client value in the following:
Internet of Things - Enhance clients’ ability to gather insight on constraints to market, produce and deliver goods & services, and gather insight of new data and generate new revenue streams by redefined business processes and operating models.
Supply Chain Management - Perform strategic supply chain management and improvement through Target Operating Model, Transparent Supply Chain, Scenario Modeling and Future Manufacturing.
Talent & Engagement (T&E): T&E consultants enable leadership of client organizations to guide their top talent through change, differentiate high and low performers, stimulate social networking, manage globally dispersed workforces, promote the creation of institutional knowledge and embrace flexible work environments using tools like process design, systems implementation, change management and talent analytics.
What Do We Look For In A Successful Senior Consultant At IBM?
- Self-starter with a passion for client service and solving complex business issues
- Demonstrated leadership skills, progression in leadership roles & responsibilities with willingness to readily and voluntarily take ownership of highly challenging tasks and problems, even beyond initial scope of responsibility
- Powerful communication skills, successfully using multiple verbal and non-verbal behaviors to deliver a compelling and engaging response
- Excellent interpersonal and teaming skills with ability to collaborate and work effectively with individuals, strengthening relationships to exceed clients’ expectations
- Ability to defend ideas/point of views to clients, team members and business leaders
- Aptitude to thrive in an intense team atmosphere, while defining issues/hypotheses, performing complex analysis, and assisting with preparation and recommendations of solution alternatives
- A passion for innovative ideas, coupled with the ability to understand and assimilate different points of view
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently and meet deadlines, while maintaining focus despite conflicting demands
- Ability to advise clients with a strategic mindset and complement that business strategy with the ability to guide a client through technology enabled transformation
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
Many jobs within IBM Service’s Federal Sector require U.S. citizenship and/or security clearance because of government or contract requirements. If you are not a U.S. citizen or are unable to obtain security clearance, there may be limited work opportunities for you, which may affect your continued employment at IBM.
- Bachelor’s degree
- MA, MBA, MPA, MPP or MS at time of start
- Availability to start in 2020
- Relocation to the Washington, DC Metro Area
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 100%. While most projects are local to the DC Metro area, Pubic Service’s portfolio of projects spans the US. Candidates are not able to refuse assignments based on travel
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
- Experience in pursuing your Master’s degree with concentrations in 1 of the following areas:
- Business Administration/Management or Public Policy majors with Business Technology Strategy, User Experience Strategy, Business Process Management and/or Organization Design
- Business Process Management, Organizational Design or Development, Communications, Change Management, Organizational Psychology, Human Resource Management, Learning or Instructional Design, Training & Development, Curriculum Design & Development, Supply Chain Management
- 3+ years of prior consulting &/or relevant work experience in one of the following industries: Public Sector (Federal, State & Local Government, Defense and Education)
- A passion for the public sector, coupled with the ability to understand challenges that governments and their workers face and the ability to provide solutions that will provide long term value to the citizens of this country
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education: Master's Degree
IBM is a global cognitive and cloud computing company that is reinventing what’s possible for industries and individuals. They are extending the relationship between humans and technology across industries like healthcare, education, retail, sports, finance, fashion, and advertising to truly transform the world for all of us.
What can you do at IBM?
You can innovate breakthroughs that have a life-changing impact. You can explore new industries, technologies, and jobs - all within one organization. You can be agile, experimental, and entrepreneurial - backed by the expertise and resources of a Fortune 100 company. And you can be part of an ever-evolving, inclusive, and collaborative culture with the support of over 380,000 colleagues. Embrace the pattern-seeing, patent-blazing, future-shaping you. This is you to the power of IBM.
Be a Better IBM Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at IBM when you watch classes taught by their top employees.