Entry Level Federal Associate Data Scientist
IBM, Washington, D.C.
The Leading Cognitive & Cloud Computing Company
Please note: At this time, Uncubed is only able to fast-track applicants who are legally authorized to work in the United States and will not require employment-based visa sponsorship, now or in the future.
As a Data Scientist at IBM, you will help transform our clients’ data into tangible business value by analyzing information, communicating outcomes and collaborating on product development. Work with Best in Class open source and visual tools, along with the most flexible and scalable deployment options. Whether it’s investigating patient trends or weather patterns, you will work to solve real world problems for the industries transforming how we live.
Your Role and Responsibilities
As a Federal Associate Data Scientist, you’ll work with enterprise leaders and key decision makers to solve business problems by preparing, analyzing, and understanding data to deliver insight, predict emerging trends, and provide recommendations to optimize results. You will use a variety of data (structured, unstructured, IoT streaming), analytics, AI tools, and programming languages often using a cloud infrastructure to handle the volume and veracity of data streams.
Armed with data, modeling expertise, and analytic results, as an Associate Data Scientist, you will communicate conclusions and recommendations to stakeholders in an organization's leadership structure, leveraging strong consulting, communication, visualization, and storytelling skills.
Work you could do as a Federal Associate Data Scientist:
- Implement and validate predictive and prescriptive models, create and maintain statistical models with a focus on big data.
- Incorporate a variety of statistical and machine learning techniques in your projects.
- Write programs to cleanse and integrate data in an efficient and reusable manner.
- Use leading edge and open-source tools such as Python, R, and TensorFlow, combined with IBM tools and our AI application suites.
- Work in an Agile, collaborative environment, partnering with other scientists, engineers, consultants and database administrators of all backgrounds and disciplines to bring analytical rigor and statistical methods to the challenges of predicting behaviors.
- Communicate with internal and external clients to understand and define business needs and appropriate modelling techniques to provide analytical solutions.
- Evaluate modelling results and communicate the results to technical and non-technical audiences.
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- Strong technical and analytical abilities, a knack for driving impact and growth, and some experience with a programming/scripting in a language such as Java or Python.
- Willingness to relocate to the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
- Many jobs within GBS Federal Sector require U.S. citizenship and/or security clearance because of government or contract requirements. If you are not a U.S. citizen or are unable to obtain security clearance, there may be limited work opportunities for you, which may affect your continued employment at IBM.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited 4-year institution coupled with internship, work, and/or project experience, which will provide the analytical and technical acumen that translates to an entry level consulting role.
- While many Federal projects are located in the Washington, DC area and have limited travel, candidates must be willing and able to travel up to 100% of the time, if project/business needs require.
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
- Basic understanding of Cloud (AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Basic understanding of statistical programming in a language such as R, Python, SAS, SPSS, or MATLAB.
- Ability to thrive in team base environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Work or internship experience using data science tools in a corporate environment.
- Interest in, understanding of, or experience with Design Thinking and Agile Development Methodologies.
- Preferred Majors
- Computer Science, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Cognitive Science, Artificial Intelligence, Business Intelligence, Operations Research, Engineering.
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education: Bachelor's Degree
IBM is a global cognitive and cloud computing company that is reinventing what’s possible for industries and individuals. They are extending the relationship between humans and technology across industries like healthcare, education, retail, sports, finance, fashion, and advertising to truly transform the world for all of us.
What can you do at IBM?
You can innovate breakthroughs that have a life-changing impact. You can explore new industries, technologies, and jobs - all within one organization. You can be agile, experimental, and entrepreneurial - backed by the expertise and resources of a Fortune 100 company. And you can be part of an ever-evolving, inclusive, and collaborative culture with the support of over 380,000 colleagues. Embrace the pattern-seeing, patent-blazing, future-shaping you. This is you to the power of IBM.
Be a Better IBM Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at IBM when you watch classes taught by their top employees.