Entry Level Federal Associate Designer (Consulting Team)
IBM, Washington DC
The Leading Cognitive & Cloud Computing Company
Please note: At this time, Uncubed is only able to fast-track applicants who are legally authorized to work in the United States and will not require employment-based visa sponsorship, now or in the future.
Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
- Job Role Description:
- As a Federal Associate Designer for IBM clients, you will focus on customer strategies by exploring opportunities to benefit from digital innovation, addressing customer needs and designing world-class digital customer experiences. You will create user experience designs and prototypes to test your ideas. You'll share knowledge and collaborate with your team to address ambiguous, complex problems and projects. Applying User Experience, Design Thinking, and Information Architecture methods will help to uncover user and business requirements in the context of the technical landscape. Join us, as we are a next generation services company dedicated to creating transformative ideas that get our clients to the future first.
- Work you could do as a Federal Associate Designer:
- User Research: Create research plans in collaboration with senior teammates, conduct primary and secondary research, and distill insights to actionable user experience strategies.
- Visual Design: Create design artifacts to support communication with clients and stakeholders and help define and shape digital direction and vision. For example: presentations, journey maps, personas, storyboards.
- User Experience/User Interface: Synthesize user research and business requirements into powerful user experiences. Iteratively create and annotate wireframes and interactive prototypes through collaboration with UI designers, developers, and testers.
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- Professional or University-based design experience with a portfolio representing design artifacts and associated projects
- Willingness to relocate to the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
- Many jobs within GBS Federal Sector require U.S. citizenship and/or security clearance because of government or contract requirements. If you are not a U.S. citizen or are unable to obtain security clearance, there may be limited work opportunities for you, which may affect your continued employment at IBM.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited 4-year institution coupled with internship, work, and/or project experience, which will provide the analytical and technical acumen that translates to an entry level consulting role.
- While many Federal projects are located in the Washington, DC area and have limited travel, candidates must be willing and able to travel up to 100% of the time, if project/business needs require.
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
- Experience working with design and prototyping tools such as Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, XD), Sketch, InVision, as well as communication and work platforms like Slack, JIRA, Workfront
- Understanding of the principles and methods for human-centered design including user research, rapid ideation and iteration, prototyping, and user testing.
- Possesses deep empathy for users and their needs, humility to recognize the limits of assumptions, and boldness in the conception of solutions
- Background in Human-Computer Interaction / User Experience methodologies desired but not required
- Preferred Majors:
- Design (Applied, Graphic, Visual, Information Technology, Interactive, Instructional, Mobile, User Experience, Web); Digital Strategy; Human Centered Computing; Human Computer Interaction; Interactive Design; Information Science or Architecture; User Experience Design.
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education: Bachelor's Degree
IBM is a global cognitive and cloud computing company that is reinventing what’s possible for industries and individuals. They are extending the relationship between humans and technology across industries like healthcare, education, retail, sports, finance, fashion, and advertising to truly transform the world for all of us.
What can you do at IBM?
You can innovate breakthroughs that have a life-changing impact. You can explore new industries, technologies, and jobs - all within one organization. You can be agile, experimental, and entrepreneurial - backed by the expertise and resources of a Fortune 100 company. And you can be part of an ever-evolving, inclusive, and collaborative culture with the support of over 380,000 colleagues. Embrace the pattern-seeing, patent-blazing, future-shaping you. This is you to the power of IBM.
Be a Better IBM Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at IBM when you watch classes taught by their top employees.