Entry-Level Cloud Software Developer (Client-Facing) [December 2019 Start]
IBM, Multiple Cities
The Leading Cognitive & Cloud Computing Company
Please note: At this time, Uncubed is only able to fast-track applicants who are legally authorized to work in the United States and will not require employment-based visa sponsorship, now or in the future.
IBM's Cloud Technology is a core part of our company's strategy. We help companies build full-stack applications leveraging a microservices architecture on the Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform – an enterprise Kubernetes environment. IBM is trailblazing new technology platform and services, DevOps, business models, developer outreach, and with the creation of the IBM Garage.
The IBM Garage is an “Innovation and Transformation” consultancy located in the heart of the start-up community. Our design first organization applies IBM Design Thinking, Agile, DevOps, and Lean User Experience (UX) techniques to help our clients, large and small, deliver amazing experiences to their customers by helping them identify and build innovative applications on IBM and Red Hat’s next generation open hybrid cloud platform. Our fast paced, collaborative, and co-located teams make the IBM Garage the most exciting place to be.
Our clients who choose IBM Cloud are looking for innovation and agility in how apps are defined, designed, and developed. The notion of the IBM Garage was born out of the changes on how we work with our customers. This is a distinctively new approach to app development - a 180-degree shift from the way that IBM does client engagements. We are bringing clients into the IBM Garage; where we are using IBM Design Thinking which will lead to a Minimal Viable Product (MVP) definition for the application that will adopt agile practices for developing quality apps rapidly.
As part of an entrepreneurial team, you will be developing on Kubernetes (K8s) and moving workloads to Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform. As part of modernizing the application, you will advise on and help implement DevOps for containerized workloads. You will also leverage skills and best practices to design and develop IBM cloud and AI solutions that will help our clients drive technology benefits and business outcomes across industries. You will work with cutting edge technologies such as DevOps, Docker, Kubernetes, and Cloud Foundry as well as with a passionate team of people who are driving the innovation and digital transformation to cross-industry enterprise clients with the adoption of IBM Cloud. An ideal candidate will be familiar with Design Thinking, Behavior and Test-Driven Development, and working in Agile ways.
Please note: This role has a December 2019 start.
- Design and implement MVPs featuring K8s applications
- Partner with Scrum Masters, Product Owners, and peer developers to create solutions to meet business and technical opportunities
- Understand and communicate technical advantages and tradeoffs for PCF to K8s migration, and the general value proposition of developing applications with Docker, k8s, and cloud
- Explore and develop new technical skills and industry practices while absorbing professional knowledge quickly and using demonstrated interpersonal skills to be an effective ambassador for IBM Cloud
- Use exceptional communication skills and with input from product management, development, and architecture thought leaders, work to deliver high quality outcomes to demonstrate the capabilities of cloud native apps on k8s and how to modernize apps for k8s
- Understanding in developing applications on K8s+Docker, preferably using Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform
- Understanding with PCF application development architecture such as microservices and full stack development
- Understanding of development frameworks (Spring, ReactJS, AngularJS, NodeJS, Ruby on Rails)
- Experience writing unit and integration tests
- Experience with RESTful APIs
- Designing and implementing automated dev-ops deployments that implement CI/CD best practices
- Ability to travel 50%-70%
- Understanding Cloud Foundry, Docker and Containers
- Demonstratable experience in private and public Cloud
- Experience in implementing various microservice patterns (Circuit breaker pattern, bulkhead pattern, backends for front end patterns, cache aside patterns etc)
Digitization is accelerating the ongoing evolution of business, and clouds - public, private, and hybrid - enable companies to extend their existing infrastructure and integrate across systems. IBM Cloud provides the security, control, and visibility that our clients have come to expect. We are working to provide the right tools and environment to combine all of our client’s data, no matter where it resides, to respond to changing market dynamics.
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education: Bachelor's Degree
IBM is a global cognitive and cloud computing company that is reinventing what’s possible for industries and individuals. They are extending the relationship between humans and technology across industries like healthcare, education, retail, sports, finance, fashion, and advertising to truly transform the world for all of us.
What can you do at IBM?
You can innovate breakthroughs that have a life-changing impact. You can explore new industries, technologies, and jobs - all within one organization. You can be agile, experimental, and entrepreneurial - backed by the expertise and resources of a Fortune 100 company. And you can be part of an ever-evolving, inclusive, and collaborative culture with the support of over 380,000 colleagues. Embrace the pattern-seeing, patent-blazing, future-shaping you. This is you to the power of IBM.
Be a Better IBM Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at IBM when you watch classes taught by their top employees.