Contract to Hire
Starting February, 2018
IDEO.org’s Interaction Designers work with multi-disciplinary teams to tackle complex, poverty-related challenges alongside other builders and thinkers from various backgrounds. You’ll gain inspiration and empathy for the low-income people we seek to serve by conducting field research in East Africa and beyond. You’ll transform behavioral insights into new products, services, and experiences that we’ll design, prototype, and test—then help our partners take these new solutions to market.
As an Interaction Designer, you’ll design and prototype websites, apps, and other digital experiences with human centered insights and needs at their core. You’ll be inspired by how technology can leapfrog limitations and pain points in today’s user experience, as well as imagine new uses for technology to address access, literacy, security, and other barriers. Ultimately, you’ll create innovative user experiences that will help low-income people move from distrust, disenfranchisement, and exclusion to become confident and empowered.
Nerding out over interaction design is a given. Getting passionate about solving challenges for the world’s most impoverished communities is a must.
- Create digital interactions across a range of challenges
- Distill complex problems into simple and engaging customer experiences for the web, and mobile platforms
- Communicate your design concept ideas through sketches and wireframes
- Construct information architecture, interaction models, customer flows, schematics, and visual design for products and services
- Drive an iterative design process that includes accepting and acting on feedback and constructive criticism
- Test your prototypes and designs with real users in the field
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually
- Collaborate closely with multidisciplinary teams of engineers, design thinkers, social impact experts and change makers
- Learn new tools and do self-guided work within a fast-paced environment
- Contribute to IDEO.org studio culture
- A portfolio of strong visual and interaction design work
- 3-5+ years of professional experience prototyping and experimenting at different levels of fidelity
- Ability to convey concepts through wireframes, flows, storyboards, and mockups
- Ability to provide valuable insights and points of view at the intersection of social innovation, business and interaction design
- Fluency in digital design tools, such as Photoshop and Illustrator
- Ability to distinguish between “good” and “great” work and can articulate the difference.
- Fluency in creating quick and dirty prototypes (for example: click-throughs with Keynote, interactive prototypes with Flinto or Axure, animations with AfterEffects, etc.)
- Experience engaging and collaborating with in house and third-party developers, stewarding the transfer of design to development
- Cross-cultural design experience
- Willing and able to travel internationally and domestically ~30% of the time
- BONUS: Experience working in emerging markets
About us IDEO.org is a non-profit design and innovation organization focused on solving challenges in poverty and spreading human-centered design through the social sector. Human-centered design enables organizations to create and deliver innovative solutions to pressing challenges that are rooted in the needs of people. IDEO.org works directly with organizations on projects using the human-centered design process across a wide range of focus areas related to poverty, including health, financial services, gender equity, water and sanitation.