Senior Public Relations Lead, Global
A global design company creating positive impact through design
In a nutshell:
IDEO is in search of a Senior Public Relations Lead who will foster and build relationships with reporters, clients and the global IDEO community, help shape stories that reflect our most important projects, and design media relations programs that amplify and extend the positive impact of our work.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
IDEO’s public relations team is small but mighty. You will be joining a Bay Area based team and act as a primary point person for media relations in the global IDEO community.
This role makes the biggest impact by actively seeking out potential press stories within the organization, and by working in close partnership with leaders in the design community. The ideal candidate is very comfortable navigating ambiguity and understands the importance of developing relationships with press, clients and internal stakeholders to help determine IDEO's best stories and develop creative media outreach programs & strategies for telling them.
Once here you will:
- Actively explore new work happening across IDEO’s consulting business and its product and service groups and unearth potential press stories. This often requires connecting abstract content to overall brand strategy to shape and place stories.
- Cultivate and foster new and existing media relationships that allow us to tell the stories that showcase our most important work and extend the positive influence of our brand.
- Collaborate with location marketing leads and the Global Media Director, help create media relations strategy to support all IDEO locations and business units.
- Advise and coach design teams and individuals engaged with media- and marketing-related project work.
- Help steward and manage key day-to-day operations including inbound media inquiries, stories in development and quarterly media analytics reports.
- Lead the handling of “breaking news” related to our work and new ventures. Work with the design community to set external messaging for key stories and new ventures.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, working alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
As a Senior Public Relations Lead in San Francisco, on the global IDEO team, we provide the opportunity for you to:
- Be deeply focused on media relationship building and story development that matters. We have very little reporting and very little account administration - we’re focused on big-picture impact.
- Work creatively and explore new concepts and ideas for media relations storytelling.
- Work as part of a tightly knit and highly collaborative marketing team.
- The opportunity to travel and be focused on a global approach for the firm.
Some previous projects to check out:
- IDEO and Ford in the NY Times
- IDEO on Design Thinking in HBR
- IDEO and LA County in Bloomberg BusinessWeek
- IDEO and Swell in the Associated Press
- IDEO and Creative Difference in Fast Company
- IDEO and Justice Systems Partners on PBS
Relevant experience and mindset:
In your past life, you may have been in a leadership role in a PR agency, a freelance PR practitioner or an in-house PR manager. You know how to drive strategic media relations programs and campaigns and love to roll up your sleeves and work directly with reporters to drive stories that create impact for a business.
- Takes joy and pride in developing long-term relationships with a range of different people, from reporters to clients to the internal IDEO community. Thinks of PR as a people-centered role.
- Ability to work in an ambiguous and dynamic environment and comfortable with non-hierarchical organizations.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills.
- Has a capability to build and sustain momentum, and an ability to keep an eye on the big picture while managing the details.
- A minimum of eight years of PR and media relations experience. Agency and in-house experience preferred.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment where every day is different.
- Has an optimistic, can-do approach. Embraces change and is excited about exploring new ground and trying new things.
- Has a natural passion or a curious mindset towards design.
- Has a love for finding new tools and systems that make work more efficient, particularly for better teamwork.
Application requirements and instructions:
Please submit a resume, your top 3-5 media stories you’ve worked on, and a cover letter (yes, we read all cover letters). Within the cover letter, please answer the two questions below:
- Tell us about one of the most significant stories you’ve worked on and why it stands out for you.
- Tell us about a media relationship you are proud of or hold dear.
IDEO has roots dating back to 1978. Today, IDEO is an award-winning global design and innovation consultancy. We create positive impact through design by taking a human-centered approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate, grow, and bring to market new ideas.
Want to learn more about IDEO? Visit https://www.ideo.com/
Jobs You May Like
Content Marketing Manager
Slack, San Francisco
Visual Communications Manager - Originals Series
Netflix, Los Angeles, California
Social Media Manager
PlayStation, Venice, CA
Channel Marketing Director
Hortonworks, Santa Clara, CA
Wikimedia, San Francisco, CA or Remote
TripAdvisor, Needham, MA