In a nutshell:
IDEO London is in search of an Interaction Design Lead to join our team.
Ideal candidates will have experience of leading clients and project teams through the design thinking process to solve challenges by integrating digital designs into products, services, experiences, spaces, and brands.
We are looking for someone who is equally passionate about designing elegant user experiences as much as using systems thinking and human-centered design as a source of inspiration to solve complex problems.
In this role you’ll be involved in all parts of the design process: proposal writing, user research, concept development, leading multidisciplinary teams, prototyping, and design stewardship.
Also you will collaborate with people in different disciplines to create design solutions for a variety of industries, in various scales, and in different types of media.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Interaction Design Leads are designers and often project leaders on our work. A project or content lead is one of IDEO’s most valued roles. You are central to shaping our work, our teams, evolving IDEO’s process, and nurturing great client relationships.
You’ll focus on some of the most impactful work we do leading projects and multi-disciplinary teams to bring about change inside and outside IDEO. You are not just recreating what has worked, but inventing new interaction paradigms.
Once here you will:
- Collaborate with and learn from world-class team members
- Have the opportunity to lead project teams and content domains
- Solve problems for clients in many categories and industries such as healthcare, automotive, finance and consumer products
- Design digital, service, organizational, and systems experiences; think beyond screen UI
- Learn on the edges of your field and continuously broaden your ‘T’
- Travel around the world to work globally with clients and other IDEO studios
- Focus on a range of digital, large-scale and complex challenges. Key activities include design leadership, structured thinking to inform information architectures and other conceptual frameworks, talent development, and business development
- Champion the impact of design on everyday life
- Build an understanding of the value and dynamics of client organizations, and partner with clients to drive innovation
What does IDEO offer you?
Ask anyone at IDEO London why they like working here, and they will say it’s our people and the diversity of challenges. It’s a place where you can solve complex challenges for our clients or the organisation, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism.
We certainly work hard, but we also intentionally focus on our culture to design events where we pause, create, and connect.
We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work and respect the need for work-life balance. IDEO provides you support and development throughout your time here, while allowing for autonomy in the design process and in your career.
IDEO has had a studio in London for over 30 years. Over that time, we have grown in the scale of our influence and impact. Although we still work across every industry and sector, our consistent purpose to deliver positive impact through design, has meant that we have enabled companies all over the world to be creatively competitive.
Some previous projects to check out:
- IKEA Future of Kitchen: Help IKEA envision how people's behaviors will shape the design of the future kitchen
- Designing the Future of Urban Farming: Helping a Berlin startup strengthen its offer of vertical farming products and services
- Designs on Citizenship A design innovation platform that advances creative discussion through provocations around Citizenship
- New Digital Ways to pay: Creating richer interactions between merchants and customers through a retail business platform and a portable payment device for Commonwealth Bank
- Kickstarting Europe’s Biggest Smart Energy Company: Strategies to bring a new product to market
- Sweetworxx: Create, test and communicate a vision for a digitally driven car service offer at Bosch
Must have experience and mindsets:
- Experience: A cv or portfolio that shows in-depth experience around interaction design or similar experience across a variety of digital media. Regardless of your current role, you still love getting your hands dirty in the design process to create elegant digital experiences.
- Visual design sensibility: You distinguish between “good” and “great” work and know beauty and emotion matter as much as logic. You have a point of view about your work and a passion for design and learning new methods of designing digital experiences. You know details matter.
- Systemic thinker: You can logically visualize complex systems, user interaction flows, and beautiful user interfaces.
- Prototyping: You understand that you succeed sooner by trial and understand that digital prototyping can be done at various levels of fidelity and have experience doing and leading that work. Static printouts of a screen won't cut it. Interactions are just that – a visceral experience over time integrating flow and animation.
- Communication skills: You have strong verbal, written, and presentation skills, and are able to compellingly communicate the story of your design solutions.
- Team player: You’re a confident and flexible leader of interdisciplinary teams where collaboration is imperative.
- Empathy: You are great at understanding how to turn human behavior and needs into real concepts and are obsessed with what design and technology can do for people.
Please include your answer to the following question in your cover letter.
What do you think is the most well designed digital experience in the world right now?
What do you like about it? If you could make it even better, what would you do?
Please keep your answer to less than 300 words + any images.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and portfolio. Your portfolio should include at least 4 examples of work-related projects. We would love to hear about the process involved in developing the design or project, as much as the final deliverable. Bonus points if you include any projects you have worked on for fun!
IDEO has roots dating back to 1978. Today, IDEO is an award-winning global design and innovation consultancy. We create positive impact through design by taking a human-centered approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate, grow, and bring to market new ideas.