Creative Writer, Design for Food
A global design company creating positive impact through design
In a nutshell:
IDEO’s Design for Food Studio is in search of a creative writer — with a deep knowledge of brand — who is comfortable working across a variety of mediums, on a variety of design challenges: brand experience and expression, product and service design, immersive experiences, consumer-facing communications, and more.
- You get excited by designing brands and insist on well-crafted brand promises and mission statements that are meaningful and clear, rather than simply designed to please all of the stakeholders.
- You know how to cut to the heart of what drives people, and you use that to craft inspiring expression that lead to big opportunities for innovative solutions. You have demonstrated the ability to simplify the complex and communicate it in clear and inspiring ways.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
IDEO is a human-centered design and innovation consultancy – and our design process starts and ends with storytelling. The right words can make healthy behavior change engaging, help ideas stick, move people to action, whether inside a company, or out in the world.
We need more than just your great writing, we’ll need you to help us design in a human-centered way: to grow the insights from design research, to think strategically about our client’s business, and bring our work to life in ways the world has never seen before.
Once here you will:
Writers at IDEO don’t just put the punch or polish in communications, they are designers who architect ideas alongside a multidisciplinary team of creative thinkers. Deep-diving into content and collaborating in a team environment are central to day-to-day living at IDEO. This Writer role is a designer on a multi-disciplinary team crafting holistic brand solutions for our clients’ brands in the food and beverage industry. Our work in Design for Food focuses on helping the next generation of eaters build better behaviors, as well as helping food creators build better solutions to address our complex food system.
You’ll do everything from uncover insights and tell inspiring stories, to create brand strategies, and design new to the world products, services and experiences. You will revel in the art of the details, with an itch to shape the bigger picture. You will cut straight to the heart of the matter, and love making complex stuff feel simple and intuitive. You will persuade tough crowds, fluidly crafting different tones to meet your audience. You will be nimble, and easily able to shift from punchy headlines, to long-form stories. You will push your craft, and experiment with new and better ways to convey a message.
- 5 to 7 years previous experience in a writing position in a creative environment or agency.
- Consulting skills - you are good with clients, flexible, adaptable, and can confidently support your opinion and reasoning while keeping your ego in check
- Experience connecting high altitude brand strategy to the on-the-ground tactics of word choice and media planning.
- Basic visual/design skills a huge plus, design literacy a must.
- Experience writing, designing social media programs.
- You’re game to travel, domestically and internationally. Our work is all over the world.
- You are empathetic. All of our work takes an optimistic, human-centered approach.
- You’re comfortable working across mediums: from digital to environmental to print to film— whatever delivers the message best
- You are a simplifier. You can get to the essence of things. You see the through-line beneath complicated ideas and then conveying them with clarity, purpose, and simplicity.
- You are energized by working in teams. It’s totally ok to go heads-down when it comes time to crafting sentences, but you also believe that the best ideas are the product of creative collaboration.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Some previous projects to check out:
Application requirements and instructions:
Please apply with resume, cover letter, and 3-5 writing samples that show your range. We will only consider applications with writing samples. This can be a document, portfolio, link, etc. We are not asking you to create new work for us, instead we’d love to see some of the things you’ve already written.
IDEO has roots dating back to 1978. Today, IDEO is an award-winning global design and innovation consultancy. We create positive impact through design by taking a human-centered approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate, grow, and bring to market new ideas.
Want to learn more about IDEO? Visit https://www.ideo.com/
Jobs You May Like
Hypebeast, Hong Kong
Associate Native Moms Editor & Content Strategist
POPSUGAR, New York
Assistant Manager | VIP Relations
The Marketing Arm, Los Angeles
Social Media and Content Manager
Art Department Production Manager
LAIKA, Hillsboro, OR