In a nutshell:
IDEO Shanghai is in search of an Industrial Design Lead who will transform complex systems, human needs and technologies into beautiful and intuitive products/services that will seamlessly blend into the user's everyday life and improve it.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
An Industrial Design Lead makes the biggest impact by strengthening the Industrial Design point of view at IDEO through work across a range of projects, from product interaction to software tools and applications to the web. Their skillset is critical to our business because they are able to work across disciplines, bringing their perspective to every project. We count on them to create tangible design expressions, and communicate the essence of these ideas.
Once here you will:
- Work with people that come from diverse backgrounds (like product designer, communication designer, business designer, and mechanical engineer);
- Get exposure to and involvement with all aspects of the design process: user research, brainstorm, concept development, prototyping, working with developers, and design stewardship.
- Go out in the field and build empathy with user through activities like observing the life of a cosplay model and riding a car with a professional race car driver
- Become part of a culture that lets you both learn and teach while working with people outside of your immediate area of expertise
- Support and mentor junior design talent across the studio (Lead only)
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
IDEO has been in China for over a decade and our mission is to create new value by enabling enlightened leaders to answer the right questions and to tackle systemic challenges. These can range from working with ambitious Chinese enterprises, multinationals and enterprising entrepreneurs on challenges to do with healthcare, mobility, education or food safety. Over the years, we have grown in the scale of our influence and impact, and we are now looking for talented individuals who share our mission and sense of purpose to join our vibrant and dynamic Shanghai location.
Some previous projects to check out:
Node Chair: A reconfigurable, mobile swivel chair designed for today’s high-density classrooms, the Node was created in collaboration with Steelcase as part of their effort to bring campus classrooms up to speed with current teaching and learning styles.
Automobility: One of IDEO’s core portfolio offerings. Our designers work side-by-side with clients to design for the future of transportation and mobility.
Brooks Saddle: A Brooks England bike saddle, called the Cambium C17, designed by IDEO using vulcanized natural rubber with a layer of woven organic cotton fused to the top. The saddle is designed to follow the rider’s movements and deliver immediate comfort.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- You have a Product or Industrial Design (or equivalent) degree and minimum of 8 years of professional experience in executing design, with a minimum of 3 years of consulting work or running your own business
- You have excellent storytelling and narrative skills especially around your craft as well as outstanding communication, presentation, and design team collaboration skill
- You are able to translate user needs, technical realities, brand attributes and business needs into compelling products
- You have experience in designing products or experiences that have both physical and digital components
- You have experience in leading clients and teams through the design process, and direct experience with Chinese clients
- You have strong visualization skills: from quick concept sketching to complete presentation sketches, 3D CAD modeling (Solidworks, Rhino, Fusion 360 or similar programs) to rendering (Keyshot, Cinema 4D or other similar programs).
Question for you:
Please include your answer to the following question in your cover letter.
If you could redesign any object or experience: what would it be, why should it be redesigned, how might you make it better, what would be your design approach?
Application requirements and instructions:
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, portfolio and pop quiz answer. Your portfolio should include at least 4 examples of work-related projects. In particular, we want to hear about the process involved in developing the design or project. Bonus points if you include 2-3 projects you have worked on for fun.
IDEO has roots dating back to 1978. Today, IDEO is an award-winning global design and innovation consultancy. We create positive impact through design by taking a human-centered approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate, grow, and bring to market new ideas.
Want to learn more about IDEO? Visit IDEO's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Product Designer, Enterprise