Senior Organizational Designer
A global design company creating positive impact through design
In a Nutshell:
IDEO Cambridge is currently seeking an Organizational Designer who has created and implemented organization solutions, either as a consultant or in-house within a large organization. This could include aspects of an organization such as; culture, roles, responsibilities, structures and rewards systems. This role requires a rare blend of real-world experience and theory, a real passion for challenging received wisdom, and the right mix of boardroom polish and grassroots hustle. You will work as a member of IDEO’s interdisciplinary project teams to help our clients achieve bold and meaningful change by testing and evolving strategies and solutions that build creative capabilities within an organization.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
We believe that transformation happens by movement, not mandate, and above all else, we need you to roll up your sleeves and inspire action throughout our clients’ iterative change journeys. In the past, we’ve helped clients address design challenges such as the following:
How might we...
...build and evolve an organization’s purpose through its products, services, and operations?
...establish and evolve minimum viable organizations in line with minimum viable products or services?
...design and operate an innovation lab to influence culture across an organization?
You can read about our organization design case studies here.
Once you are here, you will:
- Prototype organizations (e.g. roles, responsibilities, structures, etc…) in support of a new venture or client offering.
- Develop experimental approaches and tools for our clients to prototype new ways of working in their organization.
- Craft a research plan comprised of interviews and analogous inspiration to understand an organization’s working dynamics and surface opportunity areas and new ideas for change.
- Shape and act on change strategies that start small and soon, but lead to long-term impact at scale.
- Design and support Innovation Labs that will enable clients to launch new ventures.
- Connect IDEO with the larger organizational design community and help shape IDEO’s perspective on org design.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
As an Organizational Designer in Cambridge, we provide the opportunity for you to:
- Collaborate with people from different backgrounds such as interaction designers, business designers, mechanical engineers, graphic designers, and design researchers.
- Develop new human-centered experimental approaches to organizational design/development.
- Become part of a culture that lets you both learn and teach while working with people outside of your immediate area of expertise.
- Be challenged to think more holistically.
- 3-5 years of organizational design and strategic experience managing organizational change, either as a consultant or in-house.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Strategic Human Resource Management, Organizational Development, Psychology or equivalent. MBA a plus.
- Experience designing and implementing transformative efforts within organizations, with an emphasis on practicality over theory.
- Able to inspire people of different backgrounds on organizational design.
- Able to dig into motivations and design for the adoption of new mindsets and behaviors rather than design for just what people say.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and any relevant work samples.
IDEO has roots dating back to 1978. Today, IDEO is an award-winning global design and innovation consultancy. We create positive impact through design by taking a human-centered approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate, grow, and bring to market new ideas.