Graphic Design Lead, Design for Change
IDEO, San Francisco
A global design company creating positive impact through design
In a nutshell:
IDEO San Francisco is in search of a Graphic Design Lead to join our Design for Change studio. The studio is primarily focused on helping catalyze change across organizations through design.
Graphic Design Leads make the biggest impact by being a visual storyteller. Your skillset is critical to our work/business because you love combining your interest in people and your needs with your ability to make things clear, beautiful, and engaging. You know how to cut to the heart of what drives people to unlock epiphanies and galvanize communities. You demonstrate the ability to simplify the complex and communicate it in clear and inspiring ways, across a variety of mediums. We count on you to be comfortable working across a variety of media, including print, screen, environments, video, etc.
Once you are here you will:
- Go out into the world for inspiration, and use research-based insights to spot opportunities for innovation within constraints
- Work with an incredibly diverse and passionate group of world-class designers on a wide array of local and global challenges
- Use your visual design, verbal and written skills to effectively communicate ideas
- Collaborate with teams to define and create unique and inspiring designed experiences
- Be an advocate of exceptional design across the studio and be a champion for craft in your discipline
- Support and mentor junior design talent across the studio
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
- 8-10 years graphic design experience across a variety of industries and challenges
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or equivalent degree
- Ability to tell compelling project stories to clients
- Passion for visual design: You know the difference between ‘good’ and ‘great’ and are able to work within dynamics that challenge teams, clients, and timelines to deliver excellent design. (Not only can you identify and evangelize best practices, but you’re able to push boundaries and explore new territory).
- Systems thinking: You love complex questions and sing your visuals to communicate that complexity in simple ways. You are comfortable working with people who bring many different skills to the table, and can align your talents with theirs. And you are just as comfortable working across any format - you’re able to design/direct a book, video, or website, depending on what feels right for the question at hand.
- Team skills: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. You inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of all aspects of visual deliverables.
- Communication skills: You have strong verbal, written, and visual presentation skills. You understand the value of design and brand within a business context.
- Consulting chops: Can you present like a pro and communicate your creative voice in a business setting? You should feel comfortable throughout all phases of a project, from translating verbal ideas into visual concepts, through design development and refinement, to creating production-ready artwork.
- You’ve mastered the tools: You can design and direct across a variety of media (print, motion, web) including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Keynote. Additional skills in digital prototyping tools like Sketch and Flinto are a bonus.
Some previous projects to check out:
- Envisioning Products as Holistic Experiences: Industrial designer Thomas Overthun on what excites him now, and what's next.
- Two Kinds of Athletes, One Strong Brand: Designing a brand that served both elite athletes and everyday fitness enthusiasts.
- A Student-Centered Cafeteria Experience: Reimagining the food system in a large district
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and portfolio (or link to). Your portfolio should include at least 4 examples of work-related projects. In particular, we want to hear about the process involved in developing the design or project.
Bonus points if you include 2-3 projects you have worked on for fun.
IDEO has roots dating back to 1978. Today, IDEO is an award-winning global design and innovation consultancy. We create positive impact through design by taking a human-centered approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate, grow, and bring to market new ideas.
Want to learn more about IDEO? Visit IDEO's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior/Lead Concept Artist
User Research Manager
Quora, Mountain View, CA
Service Design Lead - Fjord Boston
Accenture, MA - Boston, USA
Wire Stone - Strategy Director - Chicago
Accenture, IL - Chicago, USA
Product Design Manager (Contract)
Kickstarter, Brooklyn, NY
Product Developer (Senior Analyst) - National Apparel (Private Label)
AMARO, São Paulo, Brazil