Industrial Design Lead
IDEO, IDEO Shanghai
A global design company creating positive impact through design
In a nutshell:
IDEO Shanghai is in search of an Industrial Design Lead who will transform complex systems, human needs and technologies into beautiful and intuitive products/services that will seamlessly blend into the user's everyday life and improve it.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Industrial Design Lead makes the biggest impact by turning bold new ideas into tangible product and experiences at different stage of the design process.
Once here you will:
- Work with people that come from diverse backgrounds (like product designer, communication designer, business designer, and mechanical engineer);
- Get exposure to and involvement with all aspects of the design process: user research, brainstorm, concept development, prototyping, working with developers, and design stewardship.
- Go out in the field and build empathy with user through activities like observing the life of a cosplay model and riding a car with a professional race car driver
- Become part of a culture that lets you both learn and teach while working with people outside of your immediate area of expertise
- Support and mentor junior design talent across the studio (Lead only)
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
IDEO has been in China for over a decade and our mission is to create new value by enabling enlightened leaders to answer the right questions and to tackle systemic challenges. These can range from working with ambitious Chinese enterprises, multinationals and enterprising entrepreneurs on challenges to do with healthcare, mobility, education or food safety. Over the years, we have grown in the scale of our influence and impact, and we are now looking for talented individuals who share our mission and sense of purpose to join our vibrant and dynamic Shanghai location.
Some previous projects to check out:
Node Chair: A reconfigurable, mobile swivel chair designed for today’s high-density classrooms, the Node was created in collaboration with Steelcase as part of their effort to bring campus classrooms up to speed with current teaching and learning styles.
Automobility: One of IDEO’s core portfolio offerings. Our designers work side-by-side with clients to design for the future of transportation and mobility.
Brooks Saddle: A Brooks England bike saddle, called the Cambium C17, designed by IDEO using vulcanized natural rubber with a layer of woven organic cotton fused to the top. The saddle is designed to follow the rider’s movements and deliver immediate comfort.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- You have a Degree in Industrial Design and minimum 8 years professional experience;
- You are a human-centered problem solver, able to combine technical and aesthetic design with strong human-centered values to solve real-world problems;
- You work well in a participatory, collaborative, team-based environment;
- You are able to translate user needs, technical realities, brand attributes and business needs into compelling products;
- You are comfortable leading clients and teams through the design process;
- You have experience in designing products or experiences that have both physical and digital components;
- You have passion and experience around new-to-the-world product innovation.
- Understanding and experience in China market is a must, fluency in Mandarin is a preferred.
Pop quiz, Hot Shot:
Please include your answer to the following question in your cover letter.
In a paragraph, describe an experience where you had to drastically change your prototype or design approach based on testing and/or feedback from users.
IDEO has roots dating back to 1978. Today, IDEO is an award-winning global design and innovation consultancy. We create positive impact through design by taking a human-centered approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate, grow, and bring to market new ideas.
Want to learn more about IDEO? Visit IDEO's website.
Jobs You May Like
Product Designer (PS Core)
PlayStation, San Francisco, CA
Graphic Design Intern / Graphic Designer (Contract)
Lalamove, Hong Kong
Manager | Interior Design Quality Vehicle Craftsmanship
Faraday Future, Gardena, CA
User Experience Designer
Senior Content Strategist, Shopify Plus
Stage Visual Design
Dept, Amsterdam / Rotterdam