Software Developer, IDEO Products
IDEO, San Francisco, CA
A global design company creating positive impact through design
In a nutshell:
Creative Difference is a new venture borne out of IDEO’s Design for Change studio. It is an enterprise tool used to assess an organization’s creative competencies in the areas of innovation, competitiveness, and adaptability. We are in search for a mid-level Software Engineer to join our team to help us build and evolve the Creative Difference platform.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Our Design for Change studio’s Product Team, based out of our San Francisco office, is looking to scale up its engineering on the Creative Difference product team so we can impact thousands to millions of organizations to help them become more innovative. We need your help to streamline the product, iterate on features, and improve the customer experience. It is a small team with a big goal.
Once you are here, you will:
- Build on existing codebase to implement new features, fix bugs, and evolve the product
- Work on the full application stack: front-end marketing site, front-end user application, back-end API, administration, and data modeling
- Work closely with the product owner, interaction designers, and engineering team to uncover new customer needs, prioritize tasks, and implement new features
- Work with a data analyst to analyze and provide solutions to data questions
- Collaborate with other developers via code reviews and occasional pair programming
- Collaborate with IDEO’s talented design team to help shape the product roadmap
- 5+ years experience working on production-quality software in a team environment
- 3+ years experience working on production-quality Ruby on Rails apps
- Fluency and comfort working with:
- Databases (data modeling, optimization)
- Automated testing (we use RSpec + Capybara)
- Good sense of visual design with an emphasis on building beautiful products with the user in mind
- Able to easily dive in, understand, and build on an existing codebase
- A passion for readable, extensible, beautiful and simple code.
Above and Beyond
- BS / MS in computer science or related engineering field
- Stay current with latest development best practices -- able to share industry insights with the team and provide input on process and/or architectural decisions
- Experience refactoring large codebases or building out service components
- Interest in ML/AI/data science - algorithms, modeling, TensorFlow, etc
- Going from coding to a brainstorm then diving back into code is the perfect day
- Contributing to great visual design alongside world-class designers sounds blissful
- You’re excited to be at IDEO, learn more about Design Thinking, and work amongst super creative people
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
IDEO San Francisco’s Design for Change Studio focuses on helping organizations adapt to and drive change. At times we’re redesigning the employee and customer experience, other times we’re helping to build innovation engines within organizations, and sometimes even unifying large companies with a common purpose.
Check out some of our work:
- Creative Difference - We designed a tool to assess an organization's creative competitiveness.
- IDEO U: An online school where anyone can unlock their creative potential through design thinking and collaboration
- OI Engine: An innovation software product, helping organizations engage their people and networks in creative problem-solving online
- Intercorp: Launching an innovation lab to benefit Peruvians
- Team Rubicon: Designing a Global plan for disaster response
IDEO has roots dating back to 1978. Today, IDEO is an award-winning global design and innovation consultancy. We create positive impact through design by taking a human-centered approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate, grow, and bring to market new ideas.
Want to learn more about IDEO? Visit IDEO's website.
Jobs You May Like
Test Engineer Intern
Formlabs, Somerville, MA
Software Engineer - Back End
Eventbrite, Nashville, Tennessee
Software Engineer, Android (China)
Airbnb, Beijing, China
Site Reliability Engineer
Upthere, Redwood City, CA
[研發替代役]Tech Support Engineer
Senior Product Designer (UX and Visual) - Pivotal Labs
Pivotal Software, Old Street, London