Software Engineer, IDEO Products
IDEO, San Francisco, CA
A global design company creating positive impact through design
In a nutshell:
A Software Engineer acts as a core team member on our IDEO Products team. Partnering closely with our Researchers, Interaction Designers, and Product Managers in each phase of work from insights to ideating concepts to deliverables. They quickly absorb the scientific and technical content, and can help bridge the team to accessing a deeper level of understanding and feasibility.
We refer to our Software Engineers as Creative Coders who are user-centered at their core, and have a passion for building things. They are experienced with using full stack software to craft product, aligning user needs and business objectives. They understand web, device-native, databases, scalability, analytics/metrics, and agile dev processes.
Why this role is important:
IDEO’s mission is to create disproportionate positive impact through design. This means getting work to market through trust and strong relationships and through a tactical and human-centered lens on what it will take to launch. Aside from the consulting work that IDEO is known for, we also have a number of Products and Services teams at IDEO. These products and services help unlock the power of creativity in organizations, teams, and individuals. Our Software Engineers are contributing on day one to building these products and tools.
This role is with the IDEO Products team, which works on Creative Difference, OI Engine, and Shape.
Once you are here, you will:
- Own and build on existing codebase for IDEO products used by thousands of individuals and organizations Design and implement scalable code on the full application stack: front-end user application, back-end API, administration, and data modeling and querying
- Work with data analyst to help support their data needs
- Collaborate closely with product owner and team to uncover customer needs, prioritize tasks, and launch new features
- BS / MS in computer science or related engineering field, or commensurate experience
- 5+ years experience working with web technologies
- Fluency and comfort working with Ruby on Rails
- Fluency and comfort working with Data (SQL design, optimization,implementation and database design)
- Fluency and comfort working with Git
Above and Beyond
- Diving in, understanding, and building on existing codebases is easy
- Synthesizing user needs and bringing them to a feature list, design, and implementation is second nature
- Experience and interest in machine learning or AI - TensorFlow, Pandas, NLTK, Google Cloud AI
- Implementing and extending on automated testing suites sounds fun
- Going from coding to a brainstorm then diving back into code is the perfect day
- Contributing to great visual design or improving the UX in a design jam alongside world-class designers sounds refreshing
Check out some of our work:
- Creative Difference - We designed a tool to assess an organization's creative competitiveness.
- OI Engine: An innovation software product, helping organizations engage their people and networks in creative problem-solving online
- IDEO U: An online school where anyone can unlock their creative potential through design thinking and collaboration
- Intercorp: Launching an innovation lab to benefit Peruvians
- Team Rubicon: Designing a Global plan for disaster response
IDEO has roots dating back to 1978. Today, IDEO is an award-winning global design and innovation consultancy. We create positive impact through design by taking a human-centered approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate, grow, and bring to market new ideas.
Want to learn more about IDEO? Visit IDEO's website.
Jobs You May Like
Android Developer, Link
Intersection, New York, NY
Software Test Engineer
TradeRev, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Trade Desk, Sydney, Australia
Search Engineering Manager
GitHub, United States
Snap Inc., Los Angeles, CA
Java Developer for Salesforce Team