Production Designer (temporary)
A global design company creating positive impact through design
In a nutshell:
IDEO New York is in search of a Production Designer who will help design and produce physical and digital assets, artifacts, and tools that support our client projects and internal initiatives. This will be a temporary role with a tentative start in October/November 2017 for a duration of six months.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
We approach the way we design for our clients and our own community with a dedicated amount of care and intention. Our value of “Talk Less, Do More” gets real in this role, as your ability to translate concepts into prototypes helps teams get tangible quickly and produce inspiring work. We count on you to be resourceful, generative, iterative, and adept at juggling multiple projects. With collaboration and optimism at the core of what we do, you’ll be expected to work very well across various teams and disciplines - with shifting priorities - thinking both quickly and creatively.
Once here, you’ll…
- Collaborate with IDEO New York project teams to build and produce project assets while helping to set and meet project deadlines. Serve as the liaison between IDEO New York teams and shared/external production spaces through shepherding the collaboration and production process across those groups.
- Connect with external vendors to source production materials and services; build up a network of reliable partners for teams.
- Translate project team needs and milestones into actionable production plans.
- Assist with creating and editing design assets across all studio disciplines including designing cultural artifacts and communication deliverables for Business Development, Experience, Marketing, and Talent in addition to supporting client-facing projects.
- Stretch and experiment with new tools, methods and approaches - find creative design and production “hacks” and solutions in partnership with our project teams.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- You are a unicorn (design meets production meets project management) with a developed portfolio and at least 3-5 years of production, graphic design, and/or new media experience.
- You have a passion for design and detail as well as excellent written and communication skills. You embody excellent time management while producing quality work against tight deadlines.
- You are a dynamic collaborator who can partner with multiple teams and projects simultaneously.
- Preferably you have production experience in designing both hi-fi and lo-fi print, digital, and physical assets or you used to work in a fabrication lab or art studio (print/silkscreening).
- You embody a DIY, scrappy mentality. You know Adobe Creative Suite really well but are also open to learning new tools and exploring new ways of making. You are as comfortable with an X-ACTO knife as you are with a keyboard, and are eager to roll up your sleeves and make cool stuff.
- Your extensive knowledge of design tools and software might include: Adobe Creative Suite, physical prototyping, bookbinding, comp building, designing/installing large scale room displays, basic HTML/PHP editing, content management systems, basic audio and video editing, laser cutting, vinyl production, 3D rendering and printing.
Pop quiz, Hot Shot:
Build your Superpower Utility Belt: visualize the superpowers you’d bring to this role.
Application requirements and instructions:
Please submit your resume, cover letter, portfolio and response to the pop quiz above.
IDEO has roots dating back to 1978. Today, IDEO is an award-winning global design and innovation consultancy. We create positive impact through design by taking a human-centered approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate, grow, and bring to market new ideas.
Want to learn more about IDEO? Visit https://www.ideo.com/
Jobs You May Like
Freelance Senior UX Designer
Carrot Creative, Carrot Brooklyn, NY
Digital Graphic Designer
XO Group, New York
Sr. Communication Designer
Codecademy, New York
Wish, San Francisco, United States
Art Director – Communication Design
trivago, Düsseldorf, Germany