Business Development and Growth Director
A global design company creating positive impact through design
In a nutshell:
IDEO is looking for a Business Development and Growth Director, based in Cambridge, MA or San Francisco, CA to join the IDEO CoLab team. In this new role, you will join a dynamic team of designers, technologists, entrepreneurs, and corporate innovators who are exploring emerging technologies and how they’ll help redesign major societal systems.
Why is this role important for IDEO's work?
This role is focused on strengthening, selling, and expanding the CoLab membership offer. Working closely with portfolio leads across our thematic areas, you will surface and establish partnerships, lead sales for our core and supplementary membership offers, and act as a primary representative of CoLab to the outside world. In addition, you will focus on identifying, piloting, and implementing new opportunities to evolve and expand the CoLab offering. Building upon our membership model as a foundation, you will be responsible for leading growth of our business via new ways to create and capture value. This will involve designing, validating, and experimenting with new offerings that will drive additional revenue growth and methods of engagement.
Once here you will:
- Sales: Direct and manage the sales pipeline. Lead the sales process from lead generation through contract signature. Given our small size, this role has both strategic and tactical components; in addition to being an important voice in defining the funnel and qualifying leads, this role includes direct tactical responsibility for lead generation, pipeline maintenance, and closing deals.
- Business Development + Network Building: Lead new business development including marketing, sales, client management and growth, financial planning, etc. Work across the IDEO network to identify compelling opportunities for complementary value creation. Elevate and amplify IDEO CoLab’s reputation, influence, and leadership in the market globally by building new networks, partnerships, and externally-facing programs (e.g., roundtables, summits, councils, workshops, publishing, research reports)
- Offer Evolution: Keep abreast of the market landscape to continuously push our positioning so that we position ourselves to win where we should. Identify and define value that’s already being created, evolve our current revenue model(s), and continuously experiment with ways to create new value and generate revenue.
- Commercialization Engine: Design, test, build, and grow new commercialization engines for IDEO CoLab including the creation of a new type of venture incubator / accelerator that does not yet exist in the market that combines startups, academics, corporates, investors, tech partners, sandboxes, entrepreneurs, etc.
You’re a self-directed, flexible team player who embodies great interpersonal skills, learns quickly, and relishes the opportunity to support potential clients and project teams in translating challenges and questions into opportunities for innovation.
If you routinely approach challenges with a “don’t get ready, get started” mentality, and enjoy wearing many hats as part of a creative and entrepreneurial environment, we are looking for you. This role requires design sensibilities, business acumen, and client empathy.
This is a leadership role in the CoLab. Working with the Managing Directors and the rest of the team, you will help evolve the CoLab offering. You will play an important part in shaping the culture, cadence and rigor across the CoLab core team and network, now and in the future.
- At least 10 years of experience in areas such as business development, consulting, business design, and strategy
- Significant experience and an existing network in the technology and startup worlds
- Time spent working with or at large organizations
- A consistent record of designing and implementing new business
- Experience launching, operating, or participating in an incubator or accelerator program, or raising a venture fund
- Expertise in storytelling to clients, investors or other stakeholders
- Fluency in design thinking
- Comfort, positivity, and excitement for engaging and building relationships with senior executives
- Strategic and judicious decision-making with diligent, consistent follow-through
Application requirements and instructions:
Please submit your resume and cover letter (yes, we read cover letters) to be considered for this opportunity.
IDEO has roots dating back to 1978. Today, IDEO is an award-winning global design and innovation consultancy. We create positive impact through design by taking a human-centered approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate, grow, and bring to market new ideas.
Want to learn more about IDEO? Visit https://www.ideo.com/
Jobs You May Like
Santa Cruz Warriors Job Fair!
Golden State Warriors, Santa Cruz Warriors
Senior-Level Product Manager (Business Owner Growth)
Yelp, Hamburg, Germany
Director of Business Development
BounceX, New York
General Application - Corporate
rag & bone, Anywhere
Magoosh, Berkeley, CA
Partnerships Associate - Brazil
Twitch, São Paulo, Brazil