Imperfect Produce, San Francisco, CA
Fighting food waste and helping people eat better.
- Research and planning: identify the wide-ranging implications for each product feature and problem-solve across the entire organization. Anticipate problems before they impact the team
- Design: define features and functionality based on feedback and research. Work with designers to rapidly prototype ideas and qualify with engineers
- Implement and test: thoughtfully narrow down to MVP's that create end user value and gain insights with the least amount of effort. Optimize for quick adoptions.
- Release: manage the full cycle and oversee the process through from execution to launch.
- Measure: analyze the impact of your experiments, and be prepared to present recommendations for the paths forward
- Create consensus for the product vision both internally and with key external partners
Skills and Qualifications
- 4+ years of consumer or Ecommerce product management experience, with full cycle responsibility from inception through launch and iteration
- 2+ years of working as a Product Manager at a growth-stage company highly preferred
- Domain knowledge and experience in one or more of the following: Ecommerce, online grocery, subscription services, or digital consumer shopping
- Experience creating and influencing product roadmaps and product strategy
- Highly skilled at identifying roadblocks and resolving issues to maintain the team’s ability to meet strategic, financial, and technical goals
- Product history of working and collaborating closely with engineering teams and UI/UX designers
- Technically proficient with the ability to understand and work across the entire web and infrastructure stack. You can keep up with engineering discussions, and ramp quickly to learn new things
- Possess excellent project management, execution, and prioritizing skills
- Experience establishing baselines, setting SMART goals, and measuring success
- Experience leading cross-functional teams to deliver products and projects on tight deadlines
- Strong research and analysis background, fluency working with quantitative and qualitative data
- Excellent verbal/written communication & data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Ability to think creatively with vision, and manage ambiguity with changing priorities
- Bonus Points: Previous professional experience as a developer, designer, or QA; Experience working on consumer product with offline components; Experience working with real-world logistics, SQL
- Cool as a cucumber: You prefer thinking over reacting
- Hyper-organized: In your thoughts as well as your communication style
- Doer: You like ideas, but you like execution better
- User focused and data-informed
- Curious, passionate and positive
- Personally aligned with our mission to create a better food system
Details of the Position
- Full-time, exempt position reporting to the VP of Product
- Based out of our San Francisco (Bayview) based headquarters
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package including health care, paid vacation, 401k, and credit towards free Imperfect product!
- Sedentary work; predominantly involves sitting most of the time
- Standing desks and/or other ergonomic accommodation is available upon request
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses and screens
- Regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets also required
About Imperfect Produce
WHAT WE’RE ALL ABOUT More than 20% of the fruits and vegetables grown in America never make it off the farm because they aren’t perfect enough for grocery store standards. This results in billions of pounds of wasted produce every year. We’re talking about produce that is just as nutritious and delicious but looks a little different. With so many delicious fruits and vegetables going to waste, we decided we had to do something.
Imperfect fights food waste by finding a home for ‘ugly’ produce. We source it directly from farms and deliver it to customers’ doors for 30-50% less than grocery store prices. Our subscription produce box is affordable, convenient, customizable, healthy, and delicious. But Imperfect is bigger than just the box. By eating ‘ugly,’ you’re helping build a more sustainable and effective food system. You’re helping fight food waste. You’re ensuring farmers are rewarded for their full harvest with less wasted land, fossil fuels, and water. You’re improving access to healthy food. You’re creating fulfilling careers for employees. With every bite into a misshapen apple or crooked carrot, you’re helping shape our world for the better.
In a world obsessed with perfection, we’re here to show the beauty in imperfection. We’re here to make a statement that our differences are what make us beautiful. We invite you to join our community and help us build a less wasteful world that’s as beautiful as it is delicious!
OUR HISTORY As a student at the University of Maryland, Ben Simon, our CEO, noticed that a lot of food was going to waste in the cafeteria. In response, he founded the Food Recovery Network (FRN), a nonprofit dedicated to preventing waste on college campuses. Since its founding, the FRN has expanded to over 180 colleges and universities around the country. During his work with the FRN, Ben Simon met cofounder Ben Chesler and together they scaled the organization nationwide. Ben and Ben met their third cofounder, Ron Clark, during a trip to California. Ron had spent decades working in the produce industry, most recently with the California Association of Food Banks (CAFB). At the CAFB, Ron developed the “Farm to Family” program that now sources 125 million pounds a year of ‘ugly’ produce to California food banks. Yet he realized that these quantities were still a drop in the bucket compared to the billions of pounds of ‘ugly’ produce that never left the farm. Ben, Ben, and Ron decided that together they could make an even bigger impact by sourcing ‘ugly’ produce directly from farms and delivering it at a discount to customers’ homes. They joined forces and founded Imperfect on August 8th 2015, with the vision of showing the world the beauty in imperfection.
Want to learn more about Imperfect Produce? Visit Imperfect Produce's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one