Warehouse Prep Associate
Imperfect Produce, Severn, MD
Fighting food waste and helping people eat better.
- Basic produce knowledge
- Produce handling experience
- Ability to stay focused and work efficiently both independently and as part of a team
- Familiarity with warehouse environment
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and work standing for 8+ hours
- Excellent attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a cold environment (38°F)
- Previous processing experience preferred
- Packing or assembly line experience preferred
- Creative problem-solving skills
Details of the Position:
- Position is based out of our warehouse, reporting to the Director of Quality Control
- Full-time, non-exempt position including health, dental and vision benefits, PTO, 401(k) and a recurring monthly credit towards your Imperfect grocery box!
- Frequent standing
- Able to work at cold temperatures in a refrigerated environment
- Ability to walk, bend, squat, climb, reach, and kneel
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 50 pounds
About Imperfect Produce
WHAT WE’RE ALL ABOUT More than 20% of the fruits and vegetables grown in America never make it off the farm because they aren’t perfect enough for grocery store standards. This results in billions of pounds of wasted produce every year. We’re talking about produce that is just as nutritious and delicious but looks a little different. With so many delicious fruits and vegetables going to waste, we decided we had to do something.
Imperfect fights food waste by finding a home for ‘ugly’ produce. We source it directly from farms and deliver it to customers’ doors for 30-50% less than grocery store prices. Our subscription produce box is affordable, convenient, customizable, healthy, and delicious. But Imperfect is bigger than just the box. By eating ‘ugly,’ you’re helping build a more sustainable and effective food system. You’re helping fight food waste. You’re ensuring farmers are rewarded for their full harvest with less wasted land, fossil fuels, and water. You’re improving access to healthy food. You’re creating fulfilling careers for employees. With every bite into a misshapen apple or crooked carrot, you’re helping shape our world for the better.
In a world obsessed with perfection, we’re here to show the beauty in imperfection. We’re here to make a statement that our differences are what make us beautiful. We invite you to join our community and help us build a less wasteful world that’s as beautiful as it is delicious!
OUR HISTORY As a student at the University of Maryland, Ben Simon, our CEO, noticed that a lot of food was going to waste in the cafeteria. In response, he founded the Food Recovery Network (FRN), a nonprofit dedicated to preventing waste on college campuses. Since its founding, the FRN has expanded to over 180 colleges and universities around the country. During his work with the FRN, Ben Simon met cofounder Ben Chesler and together they scaled the organization nationwide. Ben and Ben met their third cofounder, Ron Clark, during a trip to California. Ron had spent decades working in the produce industry, most recently with the California Association of Food Banks (CAFB). At the CAFB, Ron developed the “Farm to Family” program that now sources 125 million pounds a year of ‘ugly’ produce to California food banks. Yet he realized that these quantities were still a drop in the bucket compared to the billions of pounds of ‘ugly’ produce that never left the farm. Ben, Ben, and Ron decided that together they could make an even bigger impact by sourcing ‘ugly’ produce directly from farms and delivering it at a discount to customers’ homes. They joined forces and founded Imperfect on August 8th 2015, with the vision of showing the world the beauty in imperfection.
Want to learn more about Imperfect Produce? Visit Imperfect Produce's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.