Software Engineer - Backend (F#)
Imperfect Produce, Nationwide
Fighting food waste and helping people eat better.
- Collaborate with other engineers and designers to provide strong customer-focused experiences
- Prototype quickly to test out new ideas and experiments
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, and writing maintainable code)
- Actively contribute to team and company standards
- Ensure the reliability of systems essential to Imperfect customers and internal users
- Keep up-to-date with the latest technology developments in your area(s) of expertise
- For more senior applicants, mentor junior team members
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong F# development skills
- 2+ years of professionally building production-grade, large-scale web software
- Understanding of database schema design, caching and scalability.
- Expertise with relational databases, such as PostgreSQL
- Experience working with AWS infrastructure and services
- Experience with distributed, service-oriented systems communicating with RESTful API interfaces.
- Bonus: experience with event sourcing, CQRS and asynchronous communication using queues
- Bonus: interest and skill in working with server-side NodeJS
- A sincere commitment to crafting maintainable, dependable code
- A pragmatic, customer-centric approach to problem-solving
- Passionate about our mission to eliminate food waste and create a better food system for all
- Bonus: experience with or interest in leadership
Details of Position
- Full-time exempt position reporting to the Head of Engineering
- Candidate can be remotely located within US time zones
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package including health care, paid vacation, 401K, paid parental leave, and recurring credit towards your Imperfect account!
- Sedentary work; involves sitting most of the time
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens
- Standing desks and / or other ergonomic accommodation is available upon request
- Regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets
About Imperfect Produce
WHAT WE’RE ALL ABOUT More than 20% of the fruits and vegetables grown in America never make it off the farm because they aren’t perfect enough for grocery store standards. This results in billions of pounds of wasted produce every year. We’re talking about produce that is just as nutritious and delicious but looks a little different. With so many delicious fruits and vegetables going to waste, we decided we had to do something.
Imperfect fights food waste by finding a home for ‘ugly’ produce. We source it directly from farms and deliver it to customers’ doors for 30-50% less than grocery store prices. Our subscription produce box is affordable, convenient, customizable, healthy, and delicious. But Imperfect is bigger than just the box. By eating ‘ugly,’ you’re helping build a more sustainable and effective food system. You’re helping fight food waste. You’re ensuring farmers are rewarded for their full harvest with less wasted land, fossil fuels, and water. You’re improving access to healthy food. You’re creating fulfilling careers for employees. With every bite into a misshapen apple or crooked carrot, you’re helping shape our world for the better.
In a world obsessed with perfection, we’re here to show the beauty in imperfection. We’re here to make a statement that our differences are what make us beautiful. We invite you to join our community and help us build a less wasteful world that’s as beautiful as it is delicious!
OUR HISTORY As a student at the University of Maryland, Ben Simon, our CEO, noticed that a lot of food was going to waste in the cafeteria. In response, he founded the Food Recovery Network (FRN), a nonprofit dedicated to preventing waste on college campuses. Since its founding, the FRN has expanded to over 180 colleges and universities around the country. During his work with the FRN, Ben Simon met cofounder Ben Chesler and together they scaled the organization nationwide. Ben and Ben met their third cofounder, Ron Clark, during a trip to California. Ron had spent decades working in the produce industry, most recently with the California Association of Food Banks (CAFB). At the CAFB, Ron developed the “Farm to Family” program that now sources 125 million pounds a year of ‘ugly’ produce to California food banks. Yet he realized that these quantities were still a drop in the bucket compared to the billions of pounds of ‘ugly’ produce that never left the farm. Ben, Ben, and Ron decided that together they could make an even bigger impact by sourcing ‘ugly’ produce directly from farms and delivering it at a discount to customers’ homes. They joined forces and founded Imperfect on August 8th 2015, with the vision of showing the world the beauty in imperfection.
Want to learn more about Imperfect Produce? Visit Imperfect Produce's website.
Help the world share their story