Data Engineer, Data Intelligence
Indigo, Boston, MA, Raleigh, NC OR remote
Harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
The Data Intelligence team at Indigo captures, generates, integrates, and visualizes complex scientific datasets to speed identification and product development at Indigo. We are looking for someone with experience in maintaining, integrating and generating complex data sets. The candidate should also have experience in python pipelines for handling data flows and generating additional data streams existing data. The candidate should also have experience with database design. This person is responsible for maintaining and improving data generating processes while also considering tools to improve data quality. The ideal candidate will have experience with and strong interest in scientific data and empathy for customers generating and utilizing that data.
- Work closely with internal teams (Data Intelligence, Data Science, Project Management, Automation and Software Engineering) to understand the structure of Indigo's databases, data needs and data pipeline automation capabilities of the organization
- Execute on-demand data generation processes, partner with a data scientist/operations research scientist to improve and automate data-science pipelines when needed
- Collaborate with researchers and data scientists to ensure understanding of the data itself and requirements for utilization
- Become familiar with and contribute to our data infrastructure and processes
- Ensure database optimization, integrity, and consistency, and help improve data quality.
- Maintain and develop applications (Dash apps) to enable scientists to interact with the data.
- Assist with schema design, code review, and SQL query tuning
- Provide assistance to others in topics related to data management and data visualization
- Experience working in a fast-paced, quickly pivoting environment
- Strong desire to work on data cleaning, processes and automation of pipelines to prepare data for analysts, data scientists and scientists
- Interest in database/data visualization structure and function
- Deep commitment to quality, reliability, scalability and maintainability
- Highly organized and self-motivated with the ability to prioritize projects and meet deadlines
- An ability to think creatively about identifying and optimizing workflows
- Attention to detail and creating detailed documentation
- Willingness to learn new skills and take on complex projects
- Demonstrates a team-oriented style
- Comfortable with ambiguity and challenging company goals
- Possesses strong interpersonal, communication, and an outwardly positive demeanor
- Communicates both positive and negative issues in an open, direct, and straight-forward manner
- Bachelor’s degree + 4 years experience or Master’s degree + 2 years experience in computer science or related field
- Proficient with Python (Numpy/Pandas)
- Highly proficient in SQL
- Familiarity with the command line / unix shells
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git
- Nice to haves:
- Experience coding python apps using Dash
- Experience with containerization (Docker)
- Experience designing, building and managing normalized relational databases
- Experience with BI visualization tools (e.g. Spotfire, Tableau, etc)
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.
About us Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, grow healthy food for all, and conserve resources for future generations. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, rice, corn, and soybeans. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with commercial and customer service based in Memphis, TN.
Want to learn more about Indigo? Visit Indigo's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.