Operations Research Scientist
Instacart, San Francisco, CA
Groceries and home essentials delivered from local stores in 1 hour
Instacart is building the best way for people anywhere in the world to shop for groceries. Since Instacart started in 2012, we’ve launched same-day delivery in 300+ markets. We are laser focused on delivering groceries from your favorite stores right to your door! From a technology point of view, the platform is complex, rapidly scaling and processing millions of transactions in real-time all of the time. Our technology coupled with operational expertise enables Instacart to deliver fresh groceries in as little as an hour. This is a difficult problem to master and we are making it happen. Every day, we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customers that is absolutely magical.
Instacart is powered by data. We are creating the best way for people to shop for groceries by applying data, algorithms and machine learning to problems in logistics, retail, personalization, search and more. Our data science team is at the heart of this effort and our logistics engine is a critical factor in Instacart's success every day.
As a member of our small but growing data science logistics team, you will take on incredibly hard operations research problems and your work will impact the core of Instacart's business, ensuring that we meet our customers needs with a lean and efficient operation. Our team moves very fast, so you’ll have the opportunity to make an immediate difference.
- Make customers and shoppers happy
- Work on a real-time fulfillment engine
- Ensure orders are planned efficiently and delivered on time
- Come up with scalable solutions to continuously evolving logistics problems
- Build predictive models
- Forecast supply and demand
- Find other exciting problems to solve
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Operations Research, Applied Mathematics or a related field
- 4+ years of strong quantitative industry experience (2+ years with a PhD)
- Expertise in mathematical optimization and implementing tailored solution approaches
- Experience in data mining, predictive modeling and statistical analysis
- Writing production applications using Python, R, and SQL
- Superior analytical skills and a strong sense of ownership in your work
- Self-motivated drive to build, launch and iterate on products
- Willing and able to travel internationally based on job requirements
- Talented and collaborative coworkers who will both push and support you
- Market competitive salary, equity
- Medical, dental, vision benefits and 401(k) retirement plan
- Take what you need vacation (and we really mean it)
- 16 weeks maternity leave / 8 weeks paternity leave so you can truly bond with your child
- Complimentary Instacart express membership
You can choose from a variety of local stores including Whole Foods, Safeway, Costco, Mariano's and many more, as well as being able to mix items from multiple stores into one order. Every day, we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customers that is nothing short of magical.
Want to learn more about Instacart? Visit Instacart's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Applied Scientist
Postmates, San Francisco or Vancouver
Principal Machine Learning Engineer
Director of Analytics
Flatiron School, New York, NY
System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) Specialist
Catapult Systems, Denver, CO
Freelance - Terminologists (English to Thai)
Unbabel, Remote - Freelance
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Summer 2019)
Formlabs, North Carolina