Director of Engineering (Buy)
Instacart, San Francisco, CA
Groceries and home essentials delivered from local stores in 1 hour
Instacart Customers Engineering is seeking a seasoned leader for the Buy Team. The Customers team is responsible for the Instacart apps (iOS, Android) and website. As such, the Customers team is blazing a trail on the future of e-commerce for groceries across the entire order lifecycle (from signup to checkout to delivery), as well as building world-class infrastructure to scale these experiences to millions of users. The multi-disciplinary team consists of mobile, frontend, applications, infrastructure, and ML engineers who work closely with cross-functional partners to solve real problems for real users in the real world!
The goals of the Buy team are twofold: To make sure customers have a delightful experience with Instacart once they know what they want to buy, and build world-class reliable infrastructure for order management and payments that can support fast but accurate modifications to complex systems to meet changing business needs. The components of the buy team are: Core order management and related infrastructure, Post checkout experiences, Order quality, Payments , Totals & Reconciliations, Discounts & Coupons, Tax, Payments Fraud/ Compliance, Admin/MassOps Automation.
Together these comprise a very significant part of the customer experience at the heart of Instacart’s infrastructure. The team is also at the nexus of the many sides of the marketplace with deep touchpoints with the fulfillment and enterprise organizations.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Lead an existing team of about 30 engineers with expected growth to 80+ in the next two years
- Manage multi-disciplinary team of frontend/mobile as backend and infrastructure engineers
- Heavy involvement in recruiting and hiring as the team and Instacart continue to scale
- Cross collaboration with Product, Design, Sales, and other functional areas of the company
- Ability to inspire and lead team to continually perform at their highest level
- Domain knowledge/background in e-commerce; knowledge of order management and payments is a big plus
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Previous experience leading teams at hyper growth companies
- BS/MS Computer Science
You can choose from a variety of local stores including Whole Foods, Safeway, Costco, Mariano's and many more, as well as being able to mix items from multiple stores into one order. Every day, we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customers that is nothing short of magical.
Want to learn more about Instacart? Visit Instacart's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.