Senior Product Counsel (Enterprise)
Instacart, San Francisco, CA
Groceries and home essentials delivered from local stores in 1 hour
As Senior Product Counsel (Enterprise), you’ll work closely with teams like product, engineering, design, and operations to help solve thorny legal problems and enable the business to scale and grow. You’ll be providing sound legal advice to clients with respect to business operations and product development. You’ll need to be proactive and engaged, able to work well cross-functionally both internally and externally, excited about technology and e-commerce, and ready to roll your sleeves up and dig into tough legal problems to reach a creative solution. Every day we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customer that is absolutely magical. Join us!
ABOUT THE JOB
- Work closely with Product, Design, Engineering, Business Development and Operations teams to provide counseling, education, and guidance on legal compliance with contractual obligations for Enterprise-level partners.
- Work cross-functionally within the legal team, including litigation, acquisition/post-acquisition, privacy, compliance, intellectual property, and technical delivery.
- Provide sound, practical advice and guidance on legal and business-related issues.
- Create and support continuous improvements of forms, policies, and processes to help streamline, simplify, and automate support.
- Understand and stay up to date on applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards related to e-Commerce with the ability to explain complex legal issues in plain English.
- Think ahead, see around corners, and help to prepare for and minimize risks that may arise in the future.
- A J.D. and membership in the California Bar in good standing, or eligible to register as in-house counsel with the California Bar (if based in San Francisco) or able to practice law in Ontario, Canada (if based in Toronto)
- A minimum of 10 years working as a lawyer, with at least 2 years of related experience working in an in-house legal department, particularly in enterprise relationships and M&A
- Sound and practical business judgment and ability to manage multiple, high priority, competing priorities and include appropriate stakeholders when necessary
- Familiarity with legal issues affecting the Internet and e-commerce (such as consumer protection, open source, intellectual property, privacy, SaaS, advertising, and payments)
- Innate curiosity, desire and ability to learn rapidly
- Resiliency and comfort serving as a trusted business partner
- Experience and understanding of technology development, the gig economy, and/or the retail industry
- Quick adopter of new and evolving technology
- A team player with a sense of humor and self awareness
- Bonus if you are familiar with Quebec law and fluent in French
You can choose from a variety of local stores including Whole Foods, Safeway, Costco, Mariano's and many more, as well as being able to mix items from multiple stores into one order. Every day, we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customers that is nothing short of magical.
Want to learn more about Instacart? Visit Instacart's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one