VP Engineering - Marketplace, Fulfillment, and Shopper
Instacart, San Francisco, CA
Groceries and home essentials delivered from local stores in 1 hour
The Fulfillment and Marketplace teams sit at the core of Instacart. They build the core of the Marketplace as well as the shopper tooling and product. Our systems support millions of shoppers on the Instacart platform through mobile and web experiences by offering immediate and flexible earnings opportunities.
In this role, you will lead our Marketplace, Fulfillment, and Shopper teams to develop, and enhance existing systems that direct our shoppers to complete highly complex tasks. Given the combinatorial explosion of possibilities needed to solve the routing problem of fulfilling groceries, our systems need to handle billions of computations and find the best solutions in near real-time. This includes canvassing tens of thousands of retailer stores covering a catalog with millions of products, and fulfilling millions of orders per week with the added complexity of fresh produce and high value products requiring same day delivery.
Additionally, you will be responsible for customer and shopper behaviors that are often out of our direct control, such as alcohol and prescription drug delivery protocol enforcement and fraudulent activities. You’ll navigate some of the most complex labor and policy challenges for shoppers, while driving emerging next generation fulfillment models as Instacart expands into different verticals and delivery systems.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Lead and drive our software engineering teams building the systems that serve as Instacart’s engine. These systems must be highly reliable, as they rely heavily on real-time fast moving data, adapting to the dynamic nature of customer demand, available inventory, and shopper supply to provide high quality experience to all stakeholders.
- Manage 150+ engineering org and growing, while continuing to build, scale, and uplevel the fulfillment team into a world-class engineering function.
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Design, and senior leadership across the company.
- Scale our Marketplace, Fulfillment, and Shopper systems to meet the next step function of growth at Instacart.
- High energy and scrappy engineering executive with previous experience scaling large teams (200+) at late stage, hyper growth startups.
- Technically respected and inspirational leader, with a deep network of talented engineers/managers (and following), who can recruit and build teams quickly.
- Proven track record of getting things done. Leads high energy teams.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills with ability to influence and collaborate with senior cross-functional leaders across the company
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field, and/or relevant experience
You can choose from a variety of local stores including Whole Foods, Safeway, Costco, Mariano's and many more, as well as being able to mix items from multiple stores into one order. Every day, we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customers that is nothing short of magical.
Want to learn more about Instacart? Visit Instacart's website.
Minimalist makeup and skincare