Senior Software Engineer, SRE
Instacart, Toronto, ON - Remote
Groceries and home essentials delivered from local stores in 1 hour
We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
ABOUT THE ROLE - This is a coding position within the SRE team where we build tools and are also embedded with feature development teams, writing code with them, being on call with them for their services too. SRE is a newer team at Instacart - this is an opportunity to define, build, evangelize, and optimize our SRE practice!
ABOUT THE TEAM - The Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team at Instacart helps other Engineering teams improve the reliability, security, resilience, and performance of the services they own. SREs use their expertise in cloud infrastructure to ensure other teams are getting maximum leverage from Instacart's significant infrastructure investment. SRE also owns several of the processes (and related tooling) that contribute to reliability, including how we run incidents (and how we learn from them), and how we ensure adequate capacity for future needs.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support critical Instacart services, and in some cases be on call with software teams
- Participate in the definition and management of SLOs and error budgets for the Engineering teams that own services in production
- Build tools to support our processes
- Embed with feature delivery software teams to build and enhance observability, reliability, and availability of those services.
- Work with other teams around Engineering to understand their systems and their challenges at the code level and identify improvements Instacart Infrastructure to improve the services they own (contribute code where possible)
- You have 5+ years of experience in an SRE or Infrastructure Engineering role
- 5+ years of experience writing software as a SWE or Software heavy SRE role
- You have strong technical knowledge of cloud infrastructure, distributed systems, and reliability practices
- You’ve supported services at web or RPC services at a significant scale
- You have experience solving infrastructure problems by writing software
- You have a big-picture perspective on systems and tools
- You can collaborate with other Engineering teams to understand their systems and help to improve them
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.
You can choose from a variety of local stores including Whole Foods, Safeway, Costco, Mariano's and many more, as well as being able to mix items from multiple stores into one order. Every day, we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customers that is nothing short of magical.
Want to learn more about Instacart? Visit Instacart's website.
File hosting service