The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Customer Support is the fastest growing team in Intercom. We went from 5 teammates at the start of 2015, to 50 in 2016, and we kicked off 2018 just shy of 100. We help our customers 24/7 and have teams based in Dublin, San Francisco, Chicago, and Sydney.
We’re looking for a Senior Manager, Customer Support for Chicago to plan, build, and run a highly performing team, while managing all aspects of delivering an exceptional customer experience. You will report directly to our Director of Customer Support and be one of the key leaders on the team.
Support in Intercom is different to most other companies. Our way of providing support is based on the principles of continuity and trust and our style of communication is personal, friendly and fun. We engage in dynamic conversations with our customers and are big fans of visual communication (think emojis, stickers, GIFs) - we believe that visual support is human support!
What will I be doing? 🚀
- You will manage, develop, and coach a group of ambitious managers to become more effective at managing and developing their own teams of 6-8 individual contributors
- You will run day to day support operations for Chicago/SF in a data informed manner:
- Capacity planning – you will work closely with Operations partners to accurately forecast future hiring, and will be solely responsible to plan and execute holiday coverage, decreased capacity due to training, etc.
- Hiring – you will teach and mentor your team on how we hire, help to curate our hiring process by expressing feedback often and driving the team to maintain great recruiting experiences for candidates
- Scaling - you will grow our team by creating opportunities for teammates to shape their own progress
- Goal setting - you will make sure the team is working towards goals that reflect the company strategy and measure progress towards those goals effectively
- Operational excellence - you will develop, evaluate, and execute processes and policies to improve our level of service
- Tracking - you will use data to track and better understand opportunities and shortcomings
- You will work directly with other functions to ensure that support has the context and input required in order to deliver on our support goals
- You will teach, and embody, our Intercom company values and team operating principles
- And finally, you will contribute directly to the strategic direction of the team by offering regular, radically candid, feedback and input to the Director of Customer Support
What skills do I need? 📖
- Required: Minimum of 1 year managing a team of people-managers
- 3+ years experience managing in a customer facing or process driven function, preferably in a tech startup or other high-growth environment
- Passion for teaching, developing, and growing the people you work with, as well as an understanding of what it takes to succeed in a front-line customer support role
- Proven experience in management practices within a complex and matrixed environment, combining great people intuition, business judgement and discretion in your decision-making
- Successful track record of designing, implementing, and validating processes and policies
- The ability to handle multiple projects and competing priorities (ability to make trade-offs effectively) and adapt rapidly to a fluid, high-growth environment
- Team player with a strong sense of ownership and “get things done” attitude
- Occasional (2-3x per quarter) travel required
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch and dinner served every weekday, plus a variety of breakfast foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Macbooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it. Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. Today more than 20,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has raised $116M in venture funding, and has 350+ employees across its San Francisco headquarters, Dublin R&D office, and recently opened Chicago office.
Want to learn more about Intercom? Visit Intercom's website.
Jobs You May Like
Community Support Supervisor
Ring Inc., Greater Phoenix Area, AZ
SMB Business Specialist
Snap Inc., Los Angeles, CA
Kitchen Team Member
sweetgreen, Philadelphia, PA
Team Manager Kundenservice - Berlin (m/w)
Doctolib, Berlin, Deutschland
Floor Leader - Broadway Plaza
Lush Cosmetics, Walnut Creek, CA, USA
Customer Solutions Expert