Senior Site Reliability Engineer, Device Operations
Intersection, New York
Using digital technology to transform the physical world
Who are We?
Intersection is an experience-driven Out of Home media and technology company that delivers programming, consumer amenities, and advertising to cities. From free internet access to way-finding to real-time information, our products make city life easier and more sustainable. We further enrich cities with experiential programming that inspires and engages people throughout their day. With valuable, diverse audiences in America’s top cities, we provide innovative, data-driven solutions for brands to reach urbanites at scale.
What is the role?
As an SRE at Intersection, you’ll build the systems that support over 1,000 digital displays and touch kiosks in transit systems and public spaces. This includes automation for AWS infrastructure and software deployment, as well as configuration management for the Linux machines that power our displays in the field. You’ll help test new hardware and configure it to work with our devices. You’ll also work directly with the software team that builds our fleet management software, and you’ll get experience with tools like Serverless, Docker, Ansible, DataDog, and Buildkite CI. Join us, and help build a resilient infrastructure platform in the cloud and in the street.
In Your First 30 Days, You Will
- Be introduced to the squad of talented developers that you'll be working with
- Learn how our AWS resources are managed
- Learn what's inside of digital displays and smart cities kiosks
- Learn how we maintain those digital displays from a distance, at scale
- Understand our CI pipelines
- Ship your first PR
In Your First 60 Days, You Will
- Have a strong understanding of the software your team is building
- Be a dependable DevOps resource for developers who need help with tools and infrastructure
- Assist the support team with troubleshooting
- Identify some processes we can improve with automation
- Add yourself to the on-call rotation
In Your First 90 Days, You Will
- Participate in high-level planning to make our products leaner, more fault-tolerant, and more reliable
- Create and own something that becomes a lasting piece of our toolkit
- Become a valued and indispensable part of the engineering team
- See the impact of your work in the real world
You are awesome for the role because
- You’re passionate about infrastructure-as-code using tools like Ansible or Terraform
- You can write scripts in Bash or Python - the ability to support large Python, Go, or Scala applications a plus
- You have experience building and running production Docker applications with Docker Swarm or Kubernetes
- You have experience using tools like DataDog to build monitoring, alerting, and logging systems
- You're not afraid to log onto a system and diagnose performance issues or track down bugs the old-fashioned way
- You’ve worked with different network architectures and understand the basics of IP addressing and DNS.
- You have experience with Linux system administration: imaging, patching, driver management, configuration management
- Bonus points if you’re familiar with configuring and diagnosing RF communication such as WiFi, Bluetooth and cellular modems. You’ve used oscilloscopes, multimeters, etc.
- You have at least 3 years of experience building AWS applications (and bonus points if you did it with automation)
- You have at least 5 years of running web applications in a Linux environment
- You have experience working with external vendors and outside contractors
At Intersection we celebrate every voice that makes us unique and every perspective that makes us grow. It’s our shared responsibility to create an equitable environment where every employee contributes to the culture of the company. Our products and offerings impact cities across the world and it’s our goal to represent the diversity and differences that make cities special. We will be relentless in that pursuit, because together we are better. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status
Our mission is to improve daily life in cities and public spaces.
We believe that by joining the digital and physical worlds we can help people get the most out of the cities around them. Our products live in public locations, where people engage with them every day.
We enrich people's everyday journeys by delivering connectivity, information, and content that elevate the urban experience.
Be a Better Intersection Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Intersection when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Intersection? Visit Intersection's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.
Tech Jobs For You
1242 Campaign Management and Digital Marketing Lead - Accentur...
Accenture, Multiple Locations, USA