Engineering Manager - Data Services
GOOD DESIGN IS GOOD FOR BUSINESS
InVision is the digital product design platform used to make the world’s best customer experiences. We provide design tools and educational resources for teams to navigate every stage of the product design process, from ideation to development. Today, more than 5 million people use InVision to create a repeatable and streamlined design workflow; rapidly design and prototype products before writing code, and collaborate across their entire organization. That includes 100% of the Fortune 100, and organizations like Airbnb, Amazon, HBO, Netflix, Slack, Starbucks and Uber, who are now able to design better products, faster.
Our team is in search of an Engineering Manager to help us change the way digital products are designed.
About the Team:
The Data Services team in our Platform Engineering Organization is a force-multiplier across all of our Engineering teams, building and owning infrastructure, services, and tooling related to our data storage solutions. We are a team of experienced engineers managing the operations, provisioning, deprovisioning, and optimization of MySQL, MongoDB, Kafka, DynamoDB and more, enabling our teams building microservices to move quickly and successfully.
Our ideal candidate has experience working on or managing teams owning and operationalizing data storage solutions. All of our infrastructure is hosted in AWS. We’re also using Kubernetes for everything we do so knowledge of Kubernetes is strongly preferred. We are looking for a strong technical manager for the team.
What you’ll do:
- Manage a team of 4-7 engineers building services, automation, and tooling around everything data infrastructure. As well as expertise supporting those services
- Work with stakeholders both within and across your organization, from Engineers to Executives
- Plan the work of the team, lead the sprint planning and coordinate with other teams on their sprint planning to ensure alignment across the Platform organization
- Mentor and help engineers in your team to plan and execute their career paths
- Seek out and listen to the customer, and work with your team to create solutions that will have the highest impact
- Create a culture of innovation on the team where ideas are generated and executed
- Review technical proposals from the team and make sure they are sound
What you’ll bring:
- Prior experience managing a team (or teams) of Engineers
- Deep technical understanding of the technologies you will be managing, especially AWS and Databases. Technical knowledge of other data technologies (Postgres, Kafka, DynamoDB, MongoDB) is strongly preferred
- A servant leader approach to leadership — we serve our teams, not the other way around
- Bias towards action, absolute willingness to own the problem and drive towards a speedy solution; you won’t stop until the problem is solved with an effective solution
- Keen eye for details and delivering quality products on tight timelines; you can motivate your team to find solutions which may be outside of the box, you approach problem spaces from many angles
- Ability to comprehend and understand complex systems as a whole, and also to focus in and communicate relevant aspects of the system to non-technical stakeholders
- Collaborative nature, with willingness and desire to work across multiple teams and departments; you can take all concerned parties into consideration and craft solutions which are win-win for everyone
InVision offers an incredibly unique work environment. The company employs a diverse team all over the world. Each InVision team member is given the freedom and tools to do their best work from wherever they choose.
The benefits we offer in the United States and Canada include competitive health plans and retirement plans. Some InVision-wide benefits offered to all employees across the globe include a flexible vacation policy, monthly coffee shop stipends, annual allowances for books related to your profession, and home office setup & wellness reimbursements. InVision is an international employer so some benefit offerings will vary from country to country.
InVision is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
The Digital Product design platform powering the world’s best user experiences We believe the screen is the most important place in the world. That’s why we are dedicated to helping you deliver the best possible digital product experience, with our platform and best practices from your peers. With intuitive tools for ideation, design, prototyping, and design management, the InVision platform gives you everything you need for digital product design, all in one place. It’s what more than 3 million people—at tens of thousands of companies, including eighty percent of the Fortune 100, and brands like Airbnb, Amazon, HBO, Netflix, Nike, Slack, Starbucks and Uber—use to make products you love. InVision is a fully distributed company with employees in more than 20 countries around the world. Together, we’re on a mission to help you make every digital experience magically better.