Senior Software Engineer - Platform Services
Iterable, San Francisco
Captivating Customers. Fueling Growth
Iterable is the growth marketing platform that enables brands to create, execute, and optimize campaigns to power world-class customer engagement across email, push, SMS, in-app and more with unparalleled data flexibility. We are an integrated, cross-channel solution—Iterable is built for marketers, trusted by engineers, and designed with intelligence. We know this space well: our product team built the growth systems that powered Twitter’s early success. We've raised a $60M Series D from top-tier investors like Index Ventures and CRV, and hundreds of companies like Zillow, SeatGeek, and Box rely on us to captivate their many millions of users.
Iterable's momentum grows daily and there has never been a more exciting time to join the team! We've been recognized as one of the Best Places to Work - SF for three years running and we have also made Best Places to Work - Denver for 2020. In addition, Wealthfront ranked us in the top 10 on their 2020 Career Launching Companies List and we’ve earned ourselves a top 20 spot among the SaaS 100. Lastly, we have a nationwide presence with offices in San Francisco, New York, and Denver, plus our first international office in London.
The mission of the Platform Services Group at Iterable is ensure a highly scalable core platform to support our global enterprise customer base, which is doubling every year. On a daily basis, Iterable ingests billions of user profiles and events. Our workflows & messaging services then trigger billions of emails, mobile push & SMS every month.
The group is responsible for the scalability of these core services:
- Data Ingestion (100K+ events/second)
- Messaging (billions of emails, mobile push, SMS sent per month)
- Workflows (billions of user flows per month)
- Data Services (ElasticSearch, Redis, Postgres)
The Platform Services team architects, builds, and is responsible for the core ingestion, messaging, workflow processing, and data services. As a Senior level member of the team, you will research and build new data streaming and storage technologies to support business use cases, system stability, and improve the customer experience. You will evangelize data infrastructure technologies by developing in-house expertise and best practices around these technologies, and providing ongoing support to product engineering teams. You will build and operate systems to ingest and serve data at scale in a 24/7 high-uptime production environment. Here’s more information about our Engineering culture, values, and interviewing process.
Examples of recent and current work includes:
- Rolling out a company-wide queuing solution built on Apache Pulsar
- Developing a new data ingestion pipeline using Akka Streams, Kafka, and Elasticsearch
- Contributing to open source projects, including Apache Pulsar and Play Framework
- Building a storage and query system for customer catalog data
- Supporting multiple Elasticsearch clusters storing 120TB+ of customer data, ingesting 600GB+ per day
- Speaking at conferences and meetups, including the local Scala and Elasticsearch meetups and Scale by the Bay
We believe in a strong, friendly engineering culture. You'll get to work on what you like and one of our explicit goals as a team is to build a uniquely fun and growth-oriented culture.
The Ideal Candidate Will Be/Have:
- Experience or strong interest in databases and data storage, NoSQL, key-value stores, messaging, and distributed systems
- Experience writing and running production code
- Knowledge of Scala or an eagerness to learn
- Experience in engineering and running distributed systems
- Experience with Unix-based systems
- Experience with the Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
- Passion for learning and mentoring others. A team player.
Perks & Benefits:
- Parental leave
- Competitive salaries, meaningful equity, & 401(k) plan
- Medical, dental, vision & life insurance
- Flexible PTO, great work/life balance, and fantastic location
- Catered lunches delivered to the office daily + unlimited snacks/beverages
- Generous monthly Employee Wellness Allowance
- Professional Development Allowance of $300/quarter
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
Iterable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and strives to build a diverse and inclusive team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Last Update: 4/28/2020
Iterable is empowering the world’s leading brands to achieve true omni-channel relevance at scale. Powered by the same technologies that propelled leaders like Twitter and Facebook in the user engagement space, we are building tools for growth marketers wishing to captivate customers with messaging that matters when it matters. Founded in 2013 by CEO Justin Zhu and Andrew Boni, Iterable is based in San Francisco and is funded by Index Ventures, CRV and other top-tier Silicon Valley VCs.
Want to learn more about Iterable? Visit Iterable's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.