Director of Engineering, Reliability and Infrastructure
Iterable, San Francisco
Captivating Customers. Fueling Growth
Iterable is the growth marketing platform that enables brands to create, execute, and optimize campaigns to power world-class customer engagement across email, push, SMS, in-app and more with unparalleled data flexibility. We are an integrated, cross-channel solution—Iterable is built for marketers, trusted by engineers, and designed with intelligence. We know this space well: our product team built the growth systems that powered Twitter’s early success. We've raised a $60M Series D from top-tier investors like Index Ventures and CRV, and hundreds of companies like Zillow, SeatGeek, and Box rely on us to captivate their many millions of users.
Iterable's momentum grows daily and there has never been a more exciting time to join the team! We've been recognized as one of the Best Places to Work - SF for three years running and we have also made Best Places to Work - Denver for 2020. In addition, Wealthfront ranked us in the top 10 on their 2020 Career Launching Companies List and we’ve earned ourselves a top 20 spot among the SaaS 100. Lastly, we have a nationwide presence with offices in San Francisco, New York, and Denver, plus our first international office in London.
The Site Reliability and Infrastructure teams are responsible for our critical technology infrastructure at Iterable and provide the foundation of engineering. By driving observability, operability, and automation, we ensure a scalable, resilient platform to support our global enterprise customer base, which is doubling every year. Site Reliability defines operational success for the organization, including metrics and uptime reporting, and we own the incident response process from end-to-end (including blameless retrospectives), and manage all traffic routing inbound and outbound from the Iterable applications. SRE and Infrastructure together are responsible for operating the infrastructure behind our multi-billion event per day ingestion, messaging, and workflow pipelines, as well as our best-in-class machine learning platform. We are passionate about automation and tooling, and we partner closely with our other engineering teams to improve developer productivity and build the right solutions.
The technology this team works with changes as we grow, but it currently includes Terraform, Kubernetes, Datadog, Elasticsearch, Redis, Kafka, Pulsar, and NGINX.
As Director of Engineering, Reliability and Infrastructure, you will build the teams responsible for site reliability and our underlying product infrastructure at Iterable. You will establish strong, positive relationships between teams, cultivating a culture of automation, reliability, and collaboration. You will lead a team of talented SREs and Infrastructure engineers, and a core function of your role will be to hire talented, high potential engineers and managers and to develop internal leaders. Additionally, you will report directly to the SVP of Engineering and be a critical member of our engineering leadership team, helping to develop long-term strategic initiatives, both technical and directly business impacting. We are a very collaborative company and you will work cross-functionally across engineering and with other departments such as Product Management, Customer Success, and others. Here’s more information about our Engineering culture, values, and interviewing process.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- 10+ years experience managing SRE and infrastructure teams working on large-scale SaaS products
- Experience managing multiple managers and leading a distributed team
- Prior experience working with and managing petabyte scale infrastructure on a public cloud (such as AWS)
- Thorough understanding of modern software development practices, infrastructure as code, CI/CD and DevOps practices, and design principles for SaaS applications and microservices.
- Passion for learning and always improving yourself and the teams around you
- A natural strength for cultivating a positive, collaborative, and inclusive culture
- Experience with compliance (e.g., SOC-2, HIPAA)
- Experience in the email marketing and/or marketing automation industries
- Demonstrated expertise through conference talks, blog posts, etc
- A strong love for people management
Perks & Benefits:
- Parental leave
- Competitive salaries, meaningful equity, & 401(k) plan
- Medical, dental, vision, & life insurance
- Flexible PTO, great work/life balance, and fantastic location
- Catered lunches delivered to the office daily + unlimited snacks/beverages
- Generous monthly Employee Wellness Allowance
- Professional Development Allowance of $300/quarter
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
Iterable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and strives to build a diverse and inclusive team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Last Updated: 5/19/2020
Iterable is empowering the world’s leading brands to achieve true omni-channel relevance at scale. Powered by the same technologies that propelled leaders like Twitter and Facebook in the user engagement space, we are building tools for growth marketers wishing to captivate customers with messaging that matters when it matters. Founded in 2013 by CEO Justin Zhu and Andrew Boni, Iterable is based in San Francisco and is funded by Index Ventures, CRV and other top-tier Silicon Valley VCs.
Want to learn more about Iterable? Visit Iterable's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one