Senior Director, Category Management (Sporting Goods)
Jet, Hoboken, NJ
Building a better shopping experience.
Jet’s mission is to become the smartest way to shop and save on pretty much anything. Combining a revolutionary pricing engine, a world-class technology and fulfillment platform, and incredible customer service, we’ve set out to create a new kind of e-commerce. Most importantly, at Jet, we’re passionate about empowering people to live and work brilliant.
About Jet’s Internal Engine
We’re building a new kind of company, and we’re building it from the inside out, which means that investing in hiring, developing, and retaining the brightest minds in the world is a top priority. Everything we do is grounded in three simple values: trust, transparency, and fairness. From our business model to our culture, we live our values to the extreme, whether we’re dealing with employees, retail partners, or consumers. We believe that happiness is the highest level of success and we want every person that crosses paths with Jet to achieve it. If you’re an ambitious, smart, natural collaborator who likes taking risks, influencing, and innovating in a challenging hyper-growth environment, we’d love to talk to you about joining our team.
About the Job
Jet is looking for strategic, collaborative, and passionate individuals to join its retail team in our brand new Hoboken, New Jersey office directly across the river from New York City.
Senior Directors at Jet are dynamic leaders and entrepreneurial business managers capable of managing multiple people and teams across several sub-categories. They have a creative, strategic, and nimble mindset and proven track record of executing strategies to optimize a multi-faceted business. Senior Directors are responsible for a significant percentage of Jet’s overall revenue and have a substantial and immediate impact on the success of Jet Retail.
The Category Development Senior Director of Sporting Goods responsibilities include:
- Developing a comprehensive category strategy to drive growth through effective leadership of Category Managers and Retail Analysts that manage levers of the business at a sub-category level. Example levers include:
- Price & Sourcing: Manage key brand relationships for your respective categories to ensure Jet has proper distribution and pricing across Jet’s warehouses, distributors, and retail partners. Ensure the appropriate mix of 1P/3P across product assortment, drive marketing fund negotiations, and ensure there is a clear path to delivering margin targets.
- Assortment: Understanding selection on site across several sub-categories - where gaps are and working with Category Managers and Business Development to close those gaps.
- Content/Shop-ability: Work with editors, writers and content sources to ensure sub-categories have the appropriate content, reviews, and shop-ability features. Coordinate with the General Manager and cross-functional teams to aggregate and drive key UX and product enhancements for your sub-categories. Hold a critical and creative awareness of your business on Jet, industry themes and the competitive landscape in order to stay on the cutting edge of product and e-commerce advancements impacting your category.
- Building a Team and Developing People: Translate vision and strategy into action through mobilizing the direct and cross-functional teams to drive key levers impacting category excellence
- Work directly with the Category General Manager to ensure vision and strategy for sub-categories hold alignment with the broader organization and other sub-category verticals
- BA/BS degree, ~13-20+ years work experience in retail, e-commerce and/or industry experience within a fast paced, dynamic environment. MA/MS degree preferred
- Experience building and managing large teams and handling a multi-million dollar business
- A leader within the business and someone who can serve as a strong advocate of Jet’s culture centered on Trust, Transparency & Fairness
- Experience developing and executing strategic initiatives that drive business goals and margin expectations. Ability to grasp a firm understanding of the many intricacies of a business and a track record of taking action on how improvements can be accomplished once insights are made
- Experience in presenting to senior management and coordinating key components of your business with General Managers and Executives at Jet
- Uplifting attitude and someone who is willing to take risks and be creative and collaborative
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunity to lead a significant portion of Jet’s overall business that has direct impact on the success of Jet
- Amazing exposure to the front lines of retail at one of the most innovative e-commerce companies and the ability to build and lead a team of talented individuals
- Work with some of the most experienced and brightest minds in retail and other industries across multiple teams at Jet to build a business from the ground up. Directly report to the Sporting Goods General Manager.
- Be a part of an incredible culture focused on transparency, trust and fairness that is attracting industry attention and pushes managers to develop and flex their business and leadership strengths in a fast paced startup
At Jet, our goal is to reshape the landscape of e-commerce forever and make a lasting difference in people’s lives.
Want to learn more about Jet? Visit https://jet.com
Jobs You May Like
Clinical Operations Analyst
Oscar, New York
New College Grad: Insurance Sales Representative
Red Ventures, North Charlotte
Sales Support Specialist - Seasonal
Peloton, Austin, TX
Software Engineer - Distributed Systems
Yelp, San Francisco, CA
Master Quality Control Specialist- Asia
Netflix, Tokyo, Japan
Sales Strategy and Operations Manager
Pinterest, San Francisco