Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
You love to take on complex data-related problems and will help create and maintain large-scale batch and real-time data pipelines that will directly influence business decisions as well as contribute to improving the quality of our data tools and large scale data infrastructure. You have a genuine appreciation for working alongside data, business & engineering partners to get things done. You have a keen sense of the big picture and can effectively drive projects towards realistic and measurable business outcomes.
As a Staff / Senior Data Engineer, you will be a key leader in driving the technical vision and long-term data strategy of the newly formed Data Services team. You will help create and maintain large-scale batch and real-time data pipelines that will directly impact key decision makers as well as drive improvements in the quality of our data and help establish standards & processes that foster a healthy, scalable data ecosystem.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Define the strategy for, and lead development on the data pipeline architecture and related tools to achieve high level of efficiency and innovation in our data stack
- Design and implement ETL / ELT processes through cloud based solutions (S3, Redshift)
- Transform raw data into business ready datasets that are both query-able and easily understood by various business units (e.g. Sales, Marketing, Product, Eng, People Ops)
- Communicate and collaborate with partners in and out of engineering, infrastructure and data services to understand requirements and identify opportunities for improvement in our data stack
- Level up information design and data engineering practices and spread knowledge across the organization
- Participate in Data Guild in collaboration with other functions who utilize/manage data
- Support growth of analysts & engineers on the team and across other teams via feedback and mentoring
- Keep extremely sensitive data compartmentalized and secure
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Staff Data Engineer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- 7 years of professional hands on experience in data engineering, preferably with 2 years working with a modern cloud technologies (e.g. Fivetran, dbt, Snowflake, Looker)
- Highly fluent in SQL and Python, with firm understanding of different language paradigms
- Strong experience w/ streaming layer, workflow orchestration i.e,. Kafka, Spark Streaming, Airflow, etc.
- Strong experience with root cause analysis on data, infrastructure and code to improve data services
- Strong experience with governing data security and compliance
- Strong experience mentoring team members on technical projects
- Strong experience working cross-functionally on production systems
- Strong communication skills with the ability to grasp and explain complex concepts to both technical and non-technical people
- Comfortable with Agile and can lead teams with agile and lean approach
- Plus: Experience with developing data architectures to support Machine learning and/or Data Science needs.
- Ruby on Rails, Python, MySQL, AWS, Git
- ElasticSearch, Docker, InfluxDB, Redshift, Nagios
Please Note: Justworks requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated within six weeks of their hire date as a condition of employment unless you qualify for a reasonable accommodation. For additional information on our policy, please click here.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Justworks is leveling the playing field with seamless payroll, great and affordable benefits, and comprehensive compliance coverage, all in one cutting-edge product designed for working fearlessly.
They are passionate about helping small businesses succeed, and this is reflected in everything they do. In fact, Justworks was founded to help entrepreneurs focus on what matters most: growing their businesses and creating better places for people to work.
Justworks employees enjoy a collaborative and welcoming environment, where transparency and openness are encouraged. Along with access to rich benefits, a prime NYC location, and no shortage of dogs at work, you'll learn from some of the brightest and influential thought leaders in the startup community.
If you want to grow in an entrepreneurial environment, build something meaningful and have fun while doing it, then Justworks may just be your place.
Want to learn more about Justworks? Visit Justworks's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.