Over half a billion videos are watched on the JW Player Network every day. The Data Team is responsible for leveraging viewer event data and making it available as actionable metrics.
As an Analytics Engineer on the Data Team, you will tackle the challenges of finding meaningful insight from millions of events per day. This insight drives tactical and strategic decisions for top publishers across the world. Our stack includes both realtime and batch data processing, hosted in AWS.
In this role, you will:
- Build data-oriented products to provide publishers with tools to make better decisions in order to grow their viewer base, increase revenue, and drive long-term content creation strategies.
- Crunch overall video network data to gain insight into how videos are being watched.
- Use data visualization tools and frameworks to provide impactful and interactive graphics which show-case our unique data footprint.
- Work with Data Scientists to extract meaningful metadata from our video content library. This includes everything from implementing sophisticated video recommendations to automating video classification.
- Collaborate with a talented team of other engineers, data scientists, and product managers in an agile environment where you build fast, fail fast, and fix fast.
- Work with and bolster knowledge of Big Data technologies.
- 3+ years relevant experience.
- Experience working with programming languages and technologies that can deal with Big Data. Knowledge of some of the following and a willingness to learn the others: Python, Java, Spark, Kafka, Hive, Hadoop/MapReduce, Storm, Avro/Parquet, Relational & Columnar databases, MongoDB/NoSql, Elasticsearch, etc.
- Experience with Test-Driven Development. Whether it's pure unit tests, integration tests, or both, you are responsible for your code working correctly. You can easily validate this with tests that can be hooked into a CI environment.
- Scale is something that excites you and you have dealt with before. When you build a data pipeline, you are confident it will work just as well in a dev environment as it will in a prod environment with 100x the amount of data.
- Comfortable working in a Cloud environment. You will work closely with the DevOps team to define infrastructure and tooling to support the data engineering efforts. True collaboration comes from mutual understanding and an open sharing of ideas.
- Enjoy working with other engineers. You recognize there are multiple ways to engineer a solution and feel a code review is a chance to share knowledge, not judge others' code.
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
About JW Player
JW Player is the world’s largest network-independent video platform. Founded in 2008 as the first open source video player, today JW Player’s customers span the globe across 193 countries, and range from Fortune 500 companies to video-centric small businesses. The company’s flagship product, JW Player, delivers more than millions of plays per month across nearly 2 billion unique devices — OTT, mobile and desktop. In addition to the player, the company’s services include advertising, analytics, data services, video hosting and streaming. For more information, see http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About JW Player
ABOUT JW PLAYER If you’ve watched video in the last 10 years, you already know us. We’re the company that pioneered video on the web and brought it to more people across the globe than anyone else. Today, JW Player provides media professionals with powerful and flexible technology to deliver video, grow their audience and monetize with ads. A venture-backed company based in New York City since 2008, JW offers a unique set of business solutions that integrate with any workflow and prioritize speed, API control, and audience growth across all viewing platforms. JW Player solutions are trusted by broadcasters and digital publishers including WWE, Univision, VICE Media, Hearst, LittleThings and Mashable, and developers around the world have deployed JW Player on domains collectively reaching over one billion monthly unique viewers. From Humble Beginnings In 2005 Jeroen “JW” Wijering was a student in the Netherlands, when he created a small piece of open-source software that enabled images and sound to play on the Internet. He was still in college when his product became the foundation for YouTube, which relied on JW Player until it was acquired by Google. By the time Jeroen presented his own website in an oral exam, the JW Player had, unbeknownst to his professors, gained a global reputation. In November 2007 Jeroen merged JW Player with the New York City digital ad agency LongTail Video, teaming up with industry veterans Dave Otten and Brian Rifkin, and the company was rebranded as JW Player in 2013. Today, JW Player is ubiquitous, having been used by tens of millions of web pages and viewed by billions of people worldwide. A History of Innovation For more than ten years, JW Player has been first to support a host of industry standards — an embeddable player, closed captioning, HTML5 web player, VAST web player, MPEG-DASH. Whether it’s new platforms, devices, streaming or advertising standards, this is an industry that is always evolving. In 2005, before smartphones were in every pocket, who could have predicted the dramatic adoption of mobile streaming? Similarly, no one can predict exactly what the next 10 to 15 years will bring for video. Change is certain, and our company has shown time and time again that our customers have a partner who will keep them ahead of the curve.