JW Player, New York
We’re Passionate About Video Technology
Our mission is to provide the type of video experience that helps our customers grow their audiences and monetize their content, and we’re looking for passionate and motivated engineers like you to help us do it!
You'll join a collaborative team of engineers with a high degree of autonomy and a strong sense of ownership to maintain and innovate on the video player technology that powers upwards of 15 billion plays on a monthly basis. Our product is used by some of the world’s top publishers and broadcasters such as Eurosport, PBS, and Fast Company and you'll play a huge role in our continued mission to provide an optimal viewing experience for our users all over the world.
In this role you will:
- Leverage browser APIs to continually optimize the video playback experience across the vastly fragmented browser and device landscape
- Contribute to open-source projects such as hls.js (we are a core contributor)
- Utilize our data footprint to innovate and iterate on player features, thereby creating the smartest video player on the market
- Take on ownership of projects, seeing them through to the finish line through effective planning, clear communication, thoughtful collaboration and excellent time management
- Have a direct impact on the product roadmap through ideation that fosters divergent thought
- Participate in bi-annual company-wide hackathons
Candidates who have been successful in this role generally have:
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills, utilizing dev tools across the most popular browsers (Chrome, FF, Safari, IE/Edge)
- Experience performance tuning browser applications
- Excellent OOP skills and knowledge of design patterns
- Practiced Test-Driven Development (TDD) or Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- A deep understanding of browsers, particularly features needed for video playback (MSE, EME, event handling, dom manipulation)
- Expert knowledge of HTML, CSS, and related web technologies
- Experience working in a collaborative, team environment
Working knowledge of the following is a huge bonus, but not a requirement:
- VAST specification
- Ad tech (Google IMA, Freewheel, SSAI/DAI)
- OTT devices (Chromecast, Airplay)
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2017. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About JW Player
ABOUT JW PLAYER If you’ve watched video in the last 10 years, you already know us. We’re the company that pioneered video on the web and brought it to more people across the globe than anyone else. Today, JW Player provides media professionals with powerful and flexible technology to deliver video, grow their audience and monetize with ads. A venture-backed company based in New York City since 2008, JW offers a unique set of business solutions that integrate with any workflow and prioritize speed, API control, and audience growth across all viewing platforms. JW Player solutions are trusted by broadcasters and digital publishers including WWE, Univision, VICE Media, Hearst, LittleThings and Mashable, and developers around the world have deployed JW Player on domains collectively reaching over one billion monthly unique viewers. From Humble Beginnings In 2005 Jeroen “JW” Wijering was a student in the Netherlands, when he created a small piece of open-source software that enabled images and sound to play on the Internet. He was still in college when his product became the foundation for YouTube, which relied on JW Player until it was acquired by Google. By the time Jeroen presented his own website in an oral exam, the JW Player had, unbeknownst to his professors, gained a global reputation. In November 2007 Jeroen merged JW Player with the New York City digital ad agency LongTail Video, teaming up with industry veterans Dave Otten and Brian Rifkin, and the company was rebranded as JW Player in 2013. Today, JW Player is ubiquitous, having been used by tens of millions of web pages and viewed by billions of people worldwide. A History of Innovation For more than ten years, JW Player has been first to support a host of industry standards — an embeddable player, closed captioning, HTML5 web player, VAST web player, MPEG-DASH. Whether it’s new platforms, devices, streaming or advertising standards, this is an industry that is always evolving. In 2005, before smartphones were in every pocket, who could have predicted the dramatic adoption of mobile streaming? Similarly, no one can predict exactly what the next 10 to 15 years will bring for video. Change is certain, and our company has shown time and time again that our customers have a partner who will keep them ahead of the curve.
Want to learn more about JW Player? Visit JW Player's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Software Engineer, Localization & Mapping
Toyota Research Institute, Los Altos, CA; Ann Arbor, MI
Zendrive, Bangalore India
Business Transformation Consultant
Elementum, Elementum HQ
Associate Programmer Co-op (Server)
Relic Entertainment, Vancouver, BC
Senior Software Developer
Senior Growth Marketing Manager, Indonesia
Wish, San Francisco, United States