Senior Software Engineer, Platform Interfaces
JW Player, New York City, NY
We’re Passionate About Video Technology
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our rapidly growing Platform Interfaces team at our New York City headquarters. Our team is responsible for the asset and media management platform, manages over 40,000 video uploads a day, builds and maintains comprehensive customer-facing Dashboards and APIs, and maintains all associated account services. We also make the time to contribute to open-source projects that enable those around us and the community-at-large. This engineer will be uniquely situated to work across the entire organization, manage highly impactful projects, and help shape the future of JW Player.
The right candidate will work collaboratively with the Platform Interfaces team to create backend systems and applications that are used daily by thousands of Publishers and Broadcasters around the world. This means designing and building the APIs, infrastructure, pipelines, testing, monitoring, and all other tooling necessary to ship code frequently.
Our tech stack includes languages and technologies such as: Python, Amazon Aurora, RabbitMQ, Apache Kafka, and Elasticsearch. Our applications are fully containerized, largely run on Kubernetes, and undergo rigorous testing to ensure a high availability rate of 99.99%.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Contribute to the architecture of a holistic service layer that incorporates hardware resource allocation and dynamic system design.
- Build features which serve customer-driven product goals
- Code as part of a highly technical team in a fast-paced, agile environment
- Prototype new ideas and explore new solutions to automate the mundane while supporting and mentoring the more junior engineers on the team.
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of software development and engineering experience
- A degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field; or experience equivalent
- Strong communication skills
- Experience mentoring and coaching engineers to perform at their best
- Experience with microservices architecture: designing, creating, deploying, testing and monitoring
- Experience with containerization (e.g. Docker)
- Experience with event-driven or message-driven architecture and datastores such as Aurora MySQL and Elasticsearch
- Experience in software security and compliance engineering
- Experience building scalable systems with cloud infrastructures such as AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience in building and maintaining modular components in a modern UI framework (Angular, React, Vue, etc)
- Experience in project management
- Experience doing test-driven development (TDD) and/or behavior-driven development (BDD)
- Experience with web video
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2018. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
About Our Benefits
When you join JW Player, you are not just joining a company or a team but a family. Our goal is to take care of you and ensure you will be successful in your new role. Your success is our success. When you join us, your benefits kick in from day one!
- Medical, Vision and Dental Coverage through Empire BlueCross
- Open PTO Policy - Self care is IMPORTANT!
- Development Program
- An opportunity to make an impact in a fast paced environment
- Bi - Annual Hack Weeks
- AMA (Ask Me Anything) and Fireside chats with Executives & JW Player family
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About JW Player
ABOUT JW PLAYER If you’ve watched video in the last 10 years, you already know us. We’re the company that pioneered video on the web and brought it to more people across the globe than anyone else. Today, JW Player provides media professionals with powerful and flexible technology to deliver video, grow their audience and monetize with ads. A venture-backed company based in New York City since 2008, JW offers a unique set of business solutions that integrate with any workflow and prioritize speed, API control, and audience growth across all viewing platforms. JW Player solutions are trusted by broadcasters and digital publishers including WWE, Univision, VICE Media, Hearst, LittleThings and Mashable, and developers around the world have deployed JW Player on domains collectively reaching over one billion monthly unique viewers. From Humble Beginnings In 2005 Jeroen “JW” Wijering was a student in the Netherlands, when he created a small piece of open-source software that enabled images and sound to play on the Internet. He was still in college when his product became the foundation for YouTube, which relied on JW Player until it was acquired by Google. By the time Jeroen presented his own website in an oral exam, the JW Player had, unbeknownst to his professors, gained a global reputation. In November 2007 Jeroen merged JW Player with the New York City digital ad agency LongTail Video, teaming up with industry veterans Dave Otten and Brian Rifkin, and the company was rebranded as JW Player in 2013. Today, JW Player is ubiquitous, having been used by tens of millions of web pages and viewed by billions of people worldwide. A History of Innovation For more than ten years, JW Player has been first to support a host of industry standards — an embeddable player, closed captioning, HTML5 web player, VAST web player, MPEG-DASH. Whether it’s new platforms, devices, streaming or advertising standards, this is an industry that is always evolving. In 2005, before smartphones were in every pocket, who could have predicted the dramatic adoption of mobile streaming? Similarly, no one can predict exactly what the next 10 to 15 years will bring for video. Change is certain, and our company has shown time and time again that our customers have a partner who will keep them ahead of the curve.
Want to learn more about JW Player? Visit JW Player's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one