Khan Academy, Mountain View, CA
Our mission is to provide a free, world‑class education for anyone, anywhere
Khan Academy reaches over 10 million learners each month. Our mission is to provide a free world-class education to anyone, anywhere. Though we’ve only done a few small SEO projects over the last few years, over half of our traffic comes from organic search and we rank at #1 for big concepts like ‘learn math’ and ‘learn computer science’. That’s great, but we can do better! Imagine if our forever-free, top-quality content ranked at #1 for all the concepts we cover. How many millions more learners could we reach in 2018?!
Would you like to build the capabilities, processes, and projects in SEO that will help us reach tens of millions more learners across the world? This role is for you.
*Our team will be growing in the coming year.
- Build our internal SEO capabilities
- Further educate the leadership, product, design, and engineering teams on SEO. Help the whole team rock it like you do
- Identify growth opportunities in site infrastructure, keyword selection, or on-page factors optimization
- Collaborate with the Content, Marketing and Product teams to advise them on SEO strategies and the SEO implications of their work and plans
- Write specs and design experiments to test new strategies and opportunities for growth, and help the team execute on these
- Analyze experiment results and pushing forward next steps at a rigorous pace
- Monitor performance metrics to understand organic search performance across our wide variety of subjects and domains
- Develop a plan for SEO as we expand internationally with more languages (we already have many e.g. https://es.khanacademy.org/), and more localized sites
- Help Khan Academy reach millions more learners across the world with our top-quality, free product.
- 4 to 7 years of SEO work experience at an industry leading site
- BA or BS degree (preferred in quantitative field such as economics, mathematics, statistics, or computer science/engineering)
- Advanced skill with Excel or similar required
- Experience working with a product team
- Excellent communicator, using data to nail your point
- Driven self-starter who thinks about the people and processes needed to get things done
- Demonstrable track record of significant results through SEO.
Why should you do SEO at Khan Academy?
Total buy-in: Management and the content/product teams fully accepts that SEO is critical to our continued growth, and we're ready and willing to invest in it. Your recommendations will be listened to and acted upon.
SEO for good: Every felt guilty for being good at what you do? You'll never have to at KA. You'll wake up every morning and help more people across the world get the education that they deserve.
A great start + room to grow: KA has the domain authority and deep content library to attract ten million visitors a month. We're already operating at a scale which you would find at very few other places. That said, our SEO operation is nascent and totally up to you. You'll have almost complete freedom to define our SEO strategy and put it into place. You'll have the best possible combination of get-your-hands-dirty implementation work and dream-the-impossible-dream strategizing. You'll grow with this job and this job will grow with you.
Top folks: We’re fun, quirky people at heart who believe that shipping beats perfection. We have built a talented development team with engineers from a variety of backgrounds, our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Pixar, Fog Creek, and tiny startups, as well as people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. There’s no better place to work: incredible team, incredible mission.
We offer the following benefits:
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- 10 office holidays + paid time off as needed
- 401(k) + 4% matching
- Comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, life)
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you, and gives you the freedom to be brilliant.
When applying please include:
- A quick summary of a successful SEO project you’ve been responsible for that had significant impact on your organization
- A few lines on an unsuccessful SEO project you’ve worked, and why it didn’t work out
- A short paragraph on what you think of Khan Academy (what we do well, and, most importantly, what we could do better).
Due to volume, applications that do not address these questions will not be considered.
About Khan Academy
A personalized learning resource for all ages Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more. Our math missions guide learners from kindergarten to calculus using state-of-the-art, adaptive technology that identifies strengths and learning gaps. We've also partnered with institutions like NASA, The Museum of Modern Art, The California Academy of Sciences, and MIT to offer specialized content.
Want to learn more about Khan Academy? Visit Khan Academy's website.
Jobs You May Like
Manager, Business Development
Zylo, Indianapolis, IN
Corporate Communications Manager - India
Netflix, Mumbai, India
Director of Marketing
HyperScience, New York, NY
Change.org, San Francisco, CA, USA or New York, NY, USA or Washington, DC, USA
Director of Partner Marketing
JW Player, New York, NY
Head of Product and Competitive Marketing
Malwarebytes, Santa Clara, California