Software Developer - Intern or Fellow
Khan Academy, Mountain View, CA
Our mission is to provide a free, world‑class education for anyone, anywhere
Khan Academy is looking for talented software developers to create a free virtual classroom for the world. Join us on our mission to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’re fun, quirky people at heart who believe that shipping beats perfection. We have built a talented development team with engineers from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Pixar, Fog Creek, and tiny startups, as well as people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. Together, we’re a small, talented team that is deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
Our 2018 intern class is currently full but we will be reopening the process in late Summer. Feel free to apply now and we will reach back out when the hiring process opens.
Current students will be evaluated for our internship while post-grads will be evaluated for our fellowship.
Our developers tackle world-changing challenges that have never been solved before. Recent examples include:
- Building innovative new ways to teach computer science
- Designing a machine learning model to optimize a student’s learning path
- Running A/B tests to increase learning and affect real lives (not just increase page views)
- Reimagining ways for students to learn together online
- Scaling all the infrastructure needed to handle millions of users
Every day, learners of all ages rely on Khan Academy to learn. Khan Academy has been featured broadly, including in 60 Minutes, Wired, The Economist and of course, The Colbert Report.
- We're not religious about using a specific technology. We're religious about providing an incredible experience for Khan Academy learners
- A passion for software and engaging learning experiences, as well as desire to change the world
- An ability to chew through difficult software problems. You leave a trail of successful software projects in your wake
- Great intuition for how users like to learn. You have the motivation and courage to tackle any new subject you put your mind to, and not let go until you've mastered it
- 12-24 weeks of availability
You don't need:
- Lisp expertise. Actually, we don't require experience in any particular technology, but you should have an impressive collection of cool projects. We’re confident that you’ll be able to learn whatever languages and frameworks we throw at you (or, more likely, you throw at us).
We offer the following benefits:
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries, housing stipends, and all travel covered
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software that's already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
How to apply:
- Attach your resume below
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires an engineering team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic, or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
- Links to projects (we really like these, but they are not a requirement). We especially like living, breathing projects, demos, or commentaries on your work. Please don’t just send code – show or tell us why you wrote it, what it’s for, what you like about it, how it helps someone, etc. No project is too small if it’s something you care about. If you're feeling especially creative feel free to include a link to a project that you've built on our programming platform.
- If you’d like to provide a more traditional cover letter addressing your interest in KA (in addition to the diversity-based response), please feel free to attach that below.
To learn more about our work:
- KA Data Science Blog
- The intern experience
- Blog posts from past interns Elizabeth Lin and Kasra Kyanzadeh
- You Can Learn Anything
- Sal’s TED talk
- Former lead developer Ben Kamens’ blog
- Our team
As an organization and as individuals, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, medical conditions, genetic information, disability, or Veteran status. We strongly encourage all candidates to complete the EEOC questions below so that we can continue to monitor our processes and ensure we are creating an environment that allows candidates to feel comfortable and display their best selves across many lines of difference.
Finally, if you feel under-qualified, remember that we’ve all been there too. Here are some great posts on building up the courage and skills to apply for your dream job, from awesome people who have worked at KA:
About Khan Academy
A personalized learning resource for all ages Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more. Our math missions guide learners from kindergarten to calculus using state-of-the-art, adaptive technology that identifies strengths and learning gaps. We've also partnered with institutions like NASA, The Museum of Modern Art, The California Academy of Sciences, and MIT to offer specialized content.
Want to learn more about Khan Academy? Visit Khan Academy's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Software Engineer, Data Science Applications
Evernote, Redwood City, CA San Diego, CA
Senior Software Engineer, iOS
Reddit, San Francisco
Software Engineer (Computer Vision)
Niantic inc., Sunnyvale
Senior Software Engineer, Infrastructure
drive.ai, Mountain View
Payoneer, New York
Big Data Software Engineer
Insider, Istanbul, Turkey