Sr. Content Program Manager
Khan Academy, Mountain View, CA / Remote friendly (US + Canada)
Our mission is to provide a free, world‑class education for anyone, anywhere
About Khan Academy
Khan Academy is a nonprofit on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of high-quality instructional and practice resources that empowers learners and the teachers who support them. Whether they’re studying metaphors, mitosis, Marbury v. Madison, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
We are looking for a passionate Senior Content Program Manager to help us change the world. We’ve built a talented team of people from a variety of backgrounds. We believe that the best way to provide impactful education is to create a diverse team of people from different backgrounds, races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and experiences. Together, we’re a team that is deeply invested in your future. We strive to be world class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
About the Content Team
Our content team includes the content creators from around the world who make our videos, articles, and practice questions that help students and teachers learn about and teach dozens of courses. Today, Khan’s courses include nearly every math topic from K-14, science and humanities content covering high school and early college, test prep for several national exams, and much more! In the years ahead, we want to double down on making our courses great in classrooms and help push online education to the next level.
About the Sr. Content Program Manager role
We’re looking for an innovative program manager to build out and run the program management function within the Content team. You will be responsible for coordinating the delivery of large projects in US and International markets like our current work to accelerate our Science content production, as well as managing an individual who is responsible for more operational aspects of content development. Your goal will be to ensure smooth content publishes by creating and maintaining protocols and processes and coordinating with multiple internal and external teams to manage the workflow of several ongoing projects. Your role is to leverage yourself and your team to coordinate goals, plans, tasks, and deliverables and to facilitate communication across all stakeholders across multiple projects. You will apply your organizational and business acumen to drive results based on your deep understanding of program and project management best practices and excellent communication skills.
What you'll do:
- Design and implement content team processes based on project management best practices that enable cross-team collaboration and solve for program success, e.g. develop plans, communicate status, mitigate issues, coordinate launch logistics, rally teams, and other project management tasks
- Directly manage at least one team member
- Build bridges and create operating mechanisms across other functions in the org, including Analytics, Design, Engineering, International Content, Learning Science, Marketing, Philanthropy, and Product Managers, to drive the delivery of high-quality content
- Create and maintain dashboards representing project status across program portfolio
- Keep stakeholders focused on success metrics throughout program delivery, balancing business needs and technical constraints
- Manage third party contractors and vendor relationships to ensure success on joint initiatives
You may be a good fit if you have:
- 3+ years of Program Management or equivalent experience, bonus if some of that was in a technology or education-based organization
- Direct people management experience
- Proficient in program/project management tools (e.g. Gantt charts, spreadsheets, JIRA, Confluence, presentations, etc.); comfortable collaborating in an online/cloud-based environment (e.g. Google Apps, Slack, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and strategically when implementing programs and solving problems
- Ability to partner with and communicate at appropriate level of detail to multiple levels of the organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals
About our benefits
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBTQ+ identified folks come together
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
To learn more about our work:
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Sal on The Carlos Watson Show in 2020
- Sal on How I Built This with Guy Raz in 2020
- Our team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
About Khan Academy
A personalized learning resource for all ages Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more. Our math missions guide learners from kindergarten to calculus using state-of-the-art, adaptive technology that identifies strengths and learning gaps. We've also partnered with institutions like NASA, The Museum of Modern Art, The California Academy of Sciences, and MIT to offer specialized content.
Want to learn more about Khan Academy? Visit Khan Academy's website.
A monthly box of dog goodies