Senior Product Designer, Classroom
Khan Academy, Mountain View, CA / Remote friendly (US + Canada Only)
Our mission is to provide a free, world‑class education for anyone, anywhere
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a nonprofit organization on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly, focusing on providing equitable solutions to historically under-resourced communities.
WE ARE DRIVEN BY COMMUNITY
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life and so do we. We are fun, diverse, quirky people that come from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes people from academia and from high tech companies and tiny startups. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. Valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion is necessary for us to actualize our mission and truly impact the communities we serve. We believe that the best way to provide impactful education is to create a diverse team of people from different backgrounds, races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and experiences. We're a hardworking team that's passionate about helping learners and teachers around the globe! We strive to be world class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Product Designer located anywhere in the U.S. or Canada. You will do meaningful product design work at a highly admired non-profit organization within our Classroom team, contributing to our teacher experiences and user flows.
For this role specifically, we want to see that you have experience designing products with complex, flexible workflows that are heavy on data visualization, e.g. with reporting features. Experience collaborating with content creators or instructional designers is a plus.
Designers have been in key leadership roles, including at the exec level, for a long time. This has made Design a keystone in the way we “deliver wow” (one of our values), and means that you'll never have to justify the importance of design. We genuinely care about people and value compassion in our everyday interactions. You'll be able to be yourself, feel valued, supported, learn and grow, no matter how experienced you are.
If you’re looking for the opportunity to grow as a Designer through shipping high-quality products that solve real problems for learners and educators, we'd love to hear from you. Even if you don’t check every box (no one does), we encourage you to apply!
What you’ll do:
- Act as a leader within the Product Design team, collaborating with other designers to make their work and the whole team better
- Work through design problems from beginning to end: translating research insights and high-level concepts into ideas that form new products and features, then designing the workflows and detailed interactions to realize them
- Sketch and prototype ideas to quickly gauge viability, including the fine-grain details of interactions
- Iterate based on feedback from both the Design team and your product team
- Work closely with engineers as they build and ship ideas
- Own the success or failure of their design work and initiate design and engineering sprints to improve shipped work
- Write about, present, and share what you have learned, both internally and with the wider Design community via our blog and industry events
WHAT YOU BRING
Being a Senior Product Designer at Khan Academy means you have a track record of:
- Designing digital products and systems, not just websites – you have helped ship products (our Senior Product Designers typically have at least 5 years of experience)
- Designing experiences that people can access on any type of device: desktop, tablet, phone
- Working through the entire product development process with deep empathy for users, from problem solving through to detailed UI and visual design
- Creating beautiful high-fidelity mockups of your designs, using Figma ideally (we use Figma in-house)
- Creating clickable prototypes using Figma, Framer, Keynote, HTML/CSS/JS, etc.
- Communicating your design work and opinions clearly and effectively, with a rationale behind proposals
- Proactively moving design work forward by deeply collaborating with engineers, your product manager, etc.
Submitting a portfolio with your application is required. We're looking for a portfolio that highlights your background designing digital experiences, clearly defines your role and impact, includes both visuals and explanations, and provides enough context that someone can browse through it and grasp the problem and solution you developed, without having questions about how you did it. (Click here for more Khan Academy portfolio tips.)
Qualities we value in Product Designers:
- Introspective, mature, and have excellent communication skills
- Invested in your own growth and the growth of our Design team
- Capable of navigating ambiguity, proactively seeking out the people/information you need to move work forward
- High comfort level working within a strong product and pedagogical vision
- Able to balance the immediate tactical needs of helping deliver and ship features with scouting ahead for what’s next
- Passionate about education and designing engaging learning experiences, deeply curious about how and why people learn
- Experience in educational technology (edtech) or prior experience teaching is a plus
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where Parents, Black and Hispanic/Latino, Women and Gender Minorities, and LGBTQIA+ identified folks come together
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
MORE ABOUT US
OUR COMPANY VALUES
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
About Khan Academy
A personalized learning resource for all ages Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more. Our math missions guide learners from kindergarten to calculus using state-of-the-art, adaptive technology that identifies strengths and learning gaps. We've also partnered with institutions like NASA, The Museum of Modern Art, The California Academy of Sciences, and MIT to offer specialized content.
Want to learn more about Khan Academy? Visit Khan Academy's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Tech Jobs For You
Destiny Senior Technical Artist - Outsource Pipeline
Bungie, Hybrid / Bungie-Approved Remote Locations