Kiva US Internships (Oakland, CA)
Kiva Internship Program, 1 position available: Oakland, CA
Internships with impact
Kiva (www.Kiva.org) is the world's first and largest online microfinance lending platform with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. We work at the intersection of technology, business, and impact. In just 12 years, Kiva has raised over $1 billion in loan capital for nearly 2 million borrowers in over 85 countries...and we’re just getting started.
Kiva, headquartered in San Francisco combines the culture and approach of an Internet start-up with an intense focus on serving the borrower-to-lender connection our platform helps facilitate.
Since its founding, volunteerism has been an integral part of Kiva's foundation and success. As a Kiva Intern, you will contribute your passion, drive, ideas, and expertise to expanding our reach and impact while taking on immediate and significant responsibilities within your team. In addition to learning on the job, you'll partake in a variety of educational, social, and professional development workshops and events that will accelerate your professional growth while learning about Kiva and the non-profit, technology, and microfinance sectors.
Kiva Internships are part-time, unpaid positions that take place in our headquarters in Oakland, CA with occasional days in the San Francisco office.
This position would be from late March – July 20, 2018
With two classes each year, Kiva hires over thirty part-time interns to be placed within most departments of the organization. While hiring for internship roles, we evaluate your application and interests to match you to a specific team that will leverage your talents while providing you with an opportunity to develop and grow.
Although Kiva Interns range in age and experience, a common theme among our participants is a "can do" attitude as well as a desire and willingness to dive in and get their hands dirty.
Kiva US is an innovative program, a “startup within a startup”, aimed at testing ways that Kiva can make its existing model more direct in order to:
- Expand access to capital for borrowers (e.g. by reaching borrowers who are geographically excluded from/do not qualify for microfinance loans)
- Lower the cost of that capital
- Enable borrowers and lenders to connect more directly (e.g. through SMS)
This intern is responsible for sourcing, vetting and supporting entrepreneurs through the Kiva process in Oakland. They will work with our existing partners and Trustees, as well as find and onboard new ones.
- Act as the “face” of Kiva in the East Bay, speaking to borrowers at events, working with them on applications, and helping them through the process.
- Plan, market and execute local events that support entrepreneurs and build community
- Support borrowers from launching application to getting fully funded and completing their first repayment
- Continue to improve on infrastructure and process for growing Kiva's impact in Oakland
- Generate marketing content to promote Kiva in Oakland
- Must be 21 years of age or older by late March 2018
- Sales-oriented personality – outgoing, strong inter-personal skills
- Team player, but also highly proactive and able to work independently
- Ability to grasp complex tasks and deliver quality outcomes. Must be detail oriented!
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Thorough and organized, responsible and reliable approach
- Comfort with Web and Office applications
- Professional development workshops
- Casual, dog-friendly office
- Access to Kiva’s network of Kiva Internship Alumni
- Free snacks, drinks, and donuts
- Optional participation in Kiva social activities, including:
- Athletic club teams
- Movie and game nights
- Happy hours
- References are gladly given for successful participants
- Modest transportation stipend of $80/month for the duration of the internship (disbursed on a monthly basis), to help offset costs associated with traveling to/from the office
The weekly time commitment for a Kiva Internship is a minimum of 3 days per week, from late March - July 20, 2018. Please make sure you have the availability to commit three days per week for the entire internship period before submitting an application.
About Kiva Internship Program
Kiva is changing lives... join us! At Kiva, we are passionate about social impact and creating opportunity for communities around the world. We've helped more than 2 million people build better lives for themselves and their families, and none of it would be possible without our interns. An internship at Kiva gives you 6 months of hands-on learning with an innovative, internationally-recognized nonprofit that has tech startup in its DNA. With part-time positions available across a range of business units, you'll contribute to meaningful projects in a fast-paced environment. Develop your professional skills, while making lifelong friends.
Want to learn more about Kiva Internship Program? Visit Kiva Internship Program's website.
Jobs You May Like
Part Time Digital Marketing Instructor
General Assembly, Hong Kong
Online Insights Analyst
1010data, New York
Director of Digital Marketing
Red Ventures, South Charlotte
Junior Marketing Manager
Part Time Digital Marketing Instructor
General Assembly, San Francisco
Everlane, San Francisco, CA