Kiva is an international nonprofit working in more than 80 countries, with a mission of expanding financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We do this by crowdfunding loans for entrepreneurs, women and students on our kiva.org lending platform, and by addressing the underlying barriers to financial access around the world through innovative projects and partnerships. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and heart of a nonprofit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
The Senior Accountant will join the Finance team as a new key leader to ensure compliance with generally accepted non-profit accounting principles, organization policies, special projects and external audits. This person will assist with the accounts payable function, payroll function, monthly closing of accounts and preparation of reports in support of the financial statements.
The ideal candidate possesses significant leadership capabilities, a solid operational and technical accounting background and works proactively to drive results. This person is a self-starter, flexible, has a high level of integrity and is action and goal-oriented in a fast-paced, team-oriented, collaborative environment.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage general ledger and assist in the month-end/year-end close processes, including ensuring all costs are properly recorded, reviewing journal entries, and helping compile the close package
- Ensure consistent financial reporting at project levels including the development of P&L statements for the different business units and projects
- Assist with analysis and interpretation of variances between budget / forecast and actual costs
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of process and system changes
- Assist in preparing PBC list schedules for the annual audit
- Assist with compilation of information for preparation of Form 990
- Document policies, procedures and workflow for assigned areas of responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or related field; Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license a plus
- Proficiency with accounting and planning software such as NetSuite, Adaptive and Concur; experience with software implementation a plus
- Experience in both non-profit as well as complex for-profit or publicly held organizations
- Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, project accounting, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Significant experience working with senior leaders on making improvements to budgeting, forecasting and reducing time to close the books
- Significant ability to develop business focused reports and to provide important analysis and insights for management
- Ability to lead special projects at the department and organizational level, with a focus on change management
- In depth understanding of the procure to pay process
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer and Excel skills
What we offer:
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- Casual, high performing work environment
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.
Kiva is an international nonprofit, founded in 2005 and based in San Francisco, with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. We celebrate and support people looking to create a better future for themselves, their families and their communities. By lending as little as $25 on Kiva, anyone can help a borrower start or grow a business, go to school, access clean energy or realize their potential. For some, it’s a matter of survival, for others it’s the fuel for a life-long ambition. 100% of every dollar you lend on Kiva goes to funding loans. Kiva covers costs primarily through optional donations, as well as through support from grants and sponsors.
Want to learn more about Kiva? Visit Kiva's website.
Jobs You May Like
Employer Branding Specialist
Zendrive, Bangalore India
Revfluence, San Francisco
Real Estate Senior Accountant, San Francisco
Starcity, San Francisco, California
Airbnb, Tokyo, Japan
Fulfillment Management Advisor
Engineering Manager, iOS
TuneIn, San Francisco, CA