Senior Backend Engineer, Blockchain
Kiva, San Francisco, CA / Portland, OR / Austin, TX
See jobs at Kiva
Kiva is an international nonprofit working in more than 80 countries, with a mission of expanding financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We do this by crowdfunding loans for entrepreneurs, women and students on our kiva.org lending platform, and by addressing the underlying barriers to financial access around the world through innovative projects and partnerships. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and heart of a nonprofit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
Recently announced at the United Nations General Assembly, Kiva is partnering with the government of Sierra Leone and United Nations to build a blockchain-based credit system that will unlock financial services for many of the world’s poorest and most underbanked citizens. As a Senior Backend Engineer, you’ll be a foundational member of a new team developing back-end technology to help populations across Sierra Leone (and ultimately the globe) escape poverty.
The ideal candidate takes initiative and is passionate about both our organizational mission and our high standards in engineering. We produce results by giving engineers full ownership and the resources they need to work as efficiently as possible.
This role will be based in San Francisco, Portland or Austin and will report to the Engineering Director based in San Francisco. At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
- Use blockchain technology to solve identity challenges and expand financial access in unbanked populations
- Contribute to the support and monitoring of the systems you create
- Implement simplicity-focused solutions for audiences that may have limited exposure to mobile and web-based technologies
- Help foster a spirit of innovation and collaboration both within the engineering team and across the organization
- Juggle a desire to move quickly with a passion for maintainable, well-crafted code
- Raise technical standards while achieving business goals
- 5+ years experience with a modern server-side language (e.g. Java, Go, Typescript)
- Familiarity with blockchain technologies (Hyperledger Fabric/Indy, Ethereum)
- Experience with container based development (Docker/Kubernetes)
- A passion for best practices, fast delivery, and agile methodologies
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical discipline (or equivalent).
What We Offer
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe.
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues.
- Casual, high performing work environment.
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.
Kiva is an international nonprofit, founded in 2005 and based in San Francisco, with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. We celebrate and support people looking to create a better future for themselves, their families and their communities. By lending as little as $25 on Kiva, anyone can help a borrower start or grow a business, go to school, access clean energy or realize their potential. For some, it’s a matter of survival, for others it’s the fuel for a life-long ambition. 100% of every dollar you lend on Kiva goes to funding loans. Kiva covers costs primarily through optional donations, as well as through support from grants and sponsors.
Want to learn more about Kiva? Visit Kiva's website.
Jobs You May Like
Wish, Toronto, Canada
Software Engineer – iOS
trivago, Düsseldorf, Germany
Ripple, Mumbai, India
Lead iOS Engineer (m/f/d)
Are you a Security Engineering Manager or Technical Lead?
Shopify, Ottawa, Canada
Software Architect, Identity Experience
Okta, San Francisco, San Jose CA, or Toronto ON