As a Data Engineer in a new and growing Data Engineering team, you will be key in helping Kobalt to exploit the data contained within the business and accurately present it to clients in new and innovative ways.
You’ll have the ability to identify solutions to the problems that big data creates. You will work the whole development lifecycle: requirements gathering, specification, development, building, testing and deployment of new analytics and data capabilities, interfacing to our existing systems as well as supporting already deployed solutions.
We work extensively with AWS and utilise a range of technologies. A data engineer will use the right tool for the job and be willing to muck in and contribute to a range of tasks.
Upcoming projects include providing visualisation tools (e.g. AWS QuickSight) to the rest of the business and helping them to get the best from it, as well as creating new data insights for our clients via our web and mobile apps.
Founded in 2000 by Willard Ahdritz, Kobalt is creating the music company of the future. Kobalt is a global music and technology company built for artists, songwriters, publishers and labels as an alternative to the traditional music business model. Kobalt have built the technology infrastructure to enable better reporting and for artists to maintain ownership and control over how their work is distributed, tracked, collected, and monetized. This global technology platform is able to track and collect royalties for the billions of micro-payments per song in digital music today.
Kobalt’s tech platform, KTech, is currently responsible for sending worldwide notifications of all clients’ songs; and it delivers albums, singles and videos to a whole host of digital services, including iTunes, Spotify, YouTube and many others. It also licenses use of clients work in TV, Film, Games and Adverts. Once all of that has been done, it then has the not-so-small job of processing the millions of resulting payments.
This is an established yet fast growing creator-centric company of artists and songwriters including The Chainsmokers, Kelly Clarkson, Miles Davis, Dave Grohl, Lauv, Zayn Malik, Max Martin, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Paul McCartney, Stevie Nicks, Pitbull, Elvis Presley, Skrillex, Sam Smith, and many more. Kobalt represents on average over 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in both the US and UK.
We’re currently 600 people based across 10 offices and we’re still growing!
WHAT DOES A DATA ENGINEER AT KOBALT DO?
- Define and build solutions that will determine how we present data to our clients
- Bring process to data engineering function and suggest improvement to approach technology and tools
- Carefully plan workload - identify and resolve any risk, issues and dependencies and fix problems as they occur
- Build infrastructure in the cloud for development and data hosting
- Diagnose and fix performance issues
- Manage the development lifecycle to deployment into production
- Support the use of Airflow (Python-based workflow management tool)
- Support colleagues and share knowledge – present project progress in group meetings, upskill and coach others in technology and techniques used
- Support the growth of the team in recruitment, interviewing and onboarding new engineers
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Problem-solving – comfortable dealing with high volume of unstructured and varied data
- Team player – keen to share knowledge and learn from others
- Customer focussed – can work with customers to understand their requirements and devise solutions
- Flexible to pivot and adapt according to the workload and open to using new tools and technologies
- Tenacity to work under pressure and in an unstructured environment
- Understanding of Apache Spark and Hadoop ecosystem
At least 2 or 3 of these (in order of preference)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- All things Unix / Linux
- Experience with infrastructure as code – e.g. terraform, CloudFormation
- Familiarity with relational databases - SQL/NoSQL, Redshift
- Experience of visualising data
- Experience of creating data APIs
- Shell scripting (Bash)
- Use of Jira and Git and ability to operate in a developing AGILE environment
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of an offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
About Kobalt Music Group
Our Company Kobalt has prioritized creators from the start. Willard Ahdritz founded Kobalt in 2000 with a mission: Making the music industry more fair and rewarding for creators. He wanted to give artists, songwriters, musicians, labels and publishers the freedom and transparency they needed to build their careers. Today, Kobalt does exactly that. Our music services combined with our innovative technology offer a viable alternative to the traditional industry model. We’re trusted by some of the world’s greatest artists, and we represent more than 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in the U.S. and U.K
Want to learn more about Kobalt Music Group? Visit Kobalt Music Group's website.
Jobs You May Like
Acquia, Boston, MA
Customer Success Engineer
Treasure Data, Mountain View, CA
Senior Developer Experience Engineer
GitHub, Remote - US
Senior Python/Django Developer
Teamable, Yerevan, Armenia
CRM Salesforce Manager
Indigo, Boston, MA
Senior Predictive Analytics Engineer
Insider, Istanbul, Turkey