Kobalt Music has revolutionised the music publishing industry by putting the creator at the centre of everything we do.
We use technology to provide unparalleled transparency, serving artists, songwriters, and publishers with licensing management works and rights distribution, royalty collection and processing, online data and royalty statements and creative services
Kobalt represents over 5,000 artists, 600,000 songs, and works with 500 publishing companies worldwide
As a Data Engineer in a new and growing Data Engineering team, you will be key in helping Kobalt to exploit the data contained within the business and accurately present it to clients in new and innovative ways.
You’ll have the ability to identify solutions to the problems that big data creates. You will work the whole development lifecycle: requirements gathering, specification, development, building, testing and deployment of new analytics and data capabilities, interfacing to our existing systems as well as supporting already deployed solutions.
We work extensively with AWS and utilise a range of technologies. A data engineer will use the right tool for the job and be willing to muck in and contribute to a range of tasks.
Upcoming projects include providing visualisation tools (e.g. AWS QuickSight) to the rest of the business and helping them to get the best from it, as well as creating new data insights for our clients via our web and mobile apps.
WHAT DOES A DATA ENGINEER AT KOBALT DO?
- Define and build solutions that will determine how we present data to our clients
- Bring process to data engineering function and suggest improvement to approach technology and tools
- Carefully plan workload - identify and resolve any risk, issues and dependencies and fix problems as they occur
- Build infrastructure in the cloud for development and data hosting
- Diagnose and fix performance issues
- Manage the development lifecycle to deployment into production
- Support the use of Airflow (Python-based workflow management tool)
- Support colleagues and share knowledge – present project progress in group meetings, upskill and coach others in technology and techniques used
- Support the growth of the team in recruitment, interviewing and onboarding new engineers
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Problem-solving – comfortable dealing with high volume of unstructured and varied data
- Team player – keen to share knowledge and learn from others
- Customer focussed – can work with customers to understand their requirements and devise solutions
- Flexible to pivot and adapt according to the workload and open to using new tools and technologies
- Tenacity to work under pressure and in an unstructured environment
- Understanding of Apache Spark and Hadoop ecosystem
At least 2 or 3 of these (in order of preference)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- All things Unix / Linux
- Experience with infrastructure as code – e.g. terraform, CloudFormation
- Familiarity with relational databases - SQL/NoSQL, Redshift
- Experience of visualising data
- Experience of creating data APIs
- Shell scripting (Bash)
- Use of Jira and Git and ability to operate in a developing AGILE environment
KOBALT MUSIC GROUP BENEFITS FROM DAY ONE
- Annual Leave - Contractually 25 days, however, Kobalt closes its offices for the 3 days between Christmas and New Year’s when staff contribute 1 day.
- Life Assurance - Equal to four (4) times base salary.
- Income Protection - Covers 75% of base salary up to the age of 65.
- Pension - Kobalt comply with auto-enrolment legislation, and currently contribute 1% of base salary if eligible staff stay in the pension scheme, currently with Aviva.
- Eye Test - Voucher scheme in partnership with Smart Employee Eyecare.
- Childcare Vouchers - Via Busy Bees.
- Fresh Fruit - Delivered twice a week!
- Regular Staff Socials - Including large summer & Christmas party and regular team socials.
POST PROBATIONARY PERIOD BENEFITS
- Private Medical Insurance - Policy is with the BUPA ‘select’ scheme, with the ability to upgrade to a partner or family membership.
- Cycle To Work - In partnership with Evans Cycles.
- Travel Insurance - Covers both business and personal travel.
- Interest-Free Season Ticket Loan - Loans deducted from net pay, typically over a 12-month period.
In 2017, Kobalt was named Publisher of the Year at the Music Week Awards (UK) and has won the Independent Music Publisher Award eight consecutive times. Kobalt Music Group was recognised as the 2013 ASCAP Publishing Administrator of the Year and in 2014 our industry-leading Portal web application won the "Innovation in Publishing" award at the MusicAlly awards.
Wired.co.uk - How data saved music http://eydisrupters.films.economist.com/
CHECK OUT OUR BLOG
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of an offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
About Kobalt Music Group
Our Company Kobalt has prioritized creators from the start. Willard Ahdritz founded Kobalt in 2000 with a mission: Making the music industry more fair and rewarding for creators. He wanted to give artists, songwriters, musicians, labels and publishers the freedom and transparency they needed to build their careers. Today, Kobalt does exactly that. Our music services combined with our innovative technology offer a viable alternative to the traditional industry model. We’re trusted by some of the world’s greatest artists, and we represent more than 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in the U.S. and U.K
Want to learn more about Kobalt Music Group? Visit Kobalt Music Group's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior iOS Engineer
Wealthfront, Redwood City, CA
Red Ventures, São Paulo, Brazil
Senior Software Engineer, Platform
Senior Software Engineer
PlayStation, San Diego, CA
Full Stack Software Engineer
Technical Partner Enablement Manager, India