Working closely with your team of software engineers on Agile projects you will champion the writing of fast, reliable and clean code. As we move to more of a product approach you’ll support the whole development life cycle: requirement gathering (with Product Manager), specification, development, building, testing and deployment of our in-house system.
To improve development efficiency, we are changing our deployment cycle from a weekly drop to continuous deployment. Initiatives such as Maven builds, moving to Git and others are changing our working practices. As a lead figure in the team you will help implement this change in behavior, process and methods.
Kobalt is the leading technology-powered music services company, offering end-to-end solutions for over 50,000 artists and songwriters and 800 labels and publishing companies. Through Kobalt technology and services, creators benefit from more money, better reporting, and maintain ownership and control over how their work is distributed, tracked, collected, and monetized. With the award-winning Kobalt desktop portal and app, Kobalt clients get real-time insight into their work and activity.
We’re currently over 400 people based across 10 offices and we’re expecting to grow. That’s where you come in. If you feel like the fast-paced, rewarding environment of our rapidly growing company is for you - share your story! Apply today and tell us why you are the next best addition to our successful team!
Our system is currently responsible for sending worldwide notifications of all of our clients’ songs; and it delivers albums, singles and videos to a whole host of digital services, including iTunes, Spotify, YouTube and many others. It also licenses use of our clients work in TV, Film, Games, and Adverts. Once all of that has been done, it then has the not-so-small job of processing the millions of resulting payments through to our clients.
This means that we work with core Java libraries, Swing UI, J2EE technologies and Apache/Tomcat, and testing with JUnit. Tasks include modifying or creating new third party integrations with AWS, PayPal, Docusign or others. Perhaps you’ll be adapting our processes for encoding, transcoding, and delivering master audio and video files. No one week will be like another as we strive to improve and innovate.
WHAT DOES A SENIOR JAVA SOFTWARE ENGINEER AT KOBALT DO?
- Senior Engineer in a small team of Java Engineers – coding solutions, pair programming, code reviews, resolution of issues, represent the team in meetings
- Support the product managers to deliver the best technical solution for a specific area of the application
- Support the QA and Test Manager, Build and Release Engineer and Test Engineers in finding and fixing faults and improving the overall quality of code
- Work with Tech Dev Ops Lead in introducing build and deployment methods and tools that enhance efficiency of engineering teams
- Contribution to wider strategic technical decisions of the technical leadership
- Championing quality and robust systems development
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Extensive hands on Java programming experience
- Mentoring of other engineers
- Experience with databases and SQL
- Experience of Git source control systems
- Experience of creating automated tests
- Experience with Oracle databases, PL/SQL, and JDBC
- Experience introducing Continuous Deployment into a complex technical environment
- Working to Agile in a pragmatic and flexible manner
In 2017, Kobalt won Independent Publisher of the Year at the Music Week Awards (UK). Kobalt Music Group was recognised as the 2013 ASCAP Publishing Administrator of the Year and in 2014 our industry leading Portal web application won the "Innovation in Publishing" award at the MusicAlly awards.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
About Kobalt Music Group
Our Company Kobalt has prioritized creators from the start. Willard Ahdritz founded Kobalt in 2000 with a mission: Making the music industry more fair and rewarding for creators. He wanted to give artists, songwriters, musicians, labels and publishers the freedom and transparency they needed to build their careers. Today, Kobalt does exactly that. Our music services combined with our innovative technology offer a viable alternative to the traditional industry model. We’re trusted by some of the world’s greatest artists, and we represent more than 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in the U.S. and U.K